Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Thank You God, We'll Take it From Here, Thanks

Prompted buy a friend, I have begun to consider/reconsider my feelings toward Contemporary vs Traditional styles of worship.

I beleive in worship in the culture we live in.
I believe in using technology and modern innovation.
I believe in new means and methods.
I beleive that we need to be creative.
I believe in purposeful Evangelism.
I believe that there is one truth
but many ways to express this truth

So having said that, there is a huge pitfall.
When I start to judge traditional method
I run the risk of merely replacing one form of tradition,
with another form of tradition called non-tradition.

As we use our creative powers and gifts to bring people to Christ,
Its important that we remember where our bread is buttered.
We become so full of great new ideas we begin to think
Thanks God....We'll take it from here!

An old prof told me about the church next door to him, bringing in "the incredible dancing bear" as a way to bring people to the church. Innovative idea for sure, but rather sickening at second glance. He made us stop, then and there and ask for forgiveness. He wanted to make sure that we all clearly understood that it was not about the incredible dancing bear or any other slick style promotion that would save the sinner. Purelly and simply it is the power of God. The saving grace of our Lord Jesus.

I was marvelling at the power of the internet. I was marvelling how this could be such a great tool. I told my mom, that the only problem with not having the person face to face, is that they could run and we would be powerless to stop them. I fealt at least if we were face to face, words could be said, gestures given to provide comfort to the person receiving this ministry. Do you know what she said?

She said Don, are you saying "Thank you God, I can take it from here?"

It cut me to the heart because I think maybe thats what I was doing. So this wonderful tool called the internet still can't replace God. Nor can we. God is big enough to look after His children thank you very much.

So now I'm a little confused. I want so bad to fulfill the great commission that Jesus gave me. My pride and my humanity get in the way. I need to learn some things about Gods power and grace.
I need to understand, that God has been saving people and exercising His grace as He sees fit for longer than I can imagine. I might have a good idea, but without Him its just merde.

You can put all sorts of fancy fuel in the car, but without the spark, its not going anywhere.
You car could be basic or it could be luxureous, but without the spark, its just metal. The car could be fast or slow, black or white, big or small, but without the spark its just an object.

Father please forgive me when I forget that You alone are the Captain of Your ship. Though I praise you and thank you for the innovative mind, please keep me clean at heart with the knowledge that You are in charge. So thanks for the great ideas Lord, and forgive me when I think that my ideas are going to change the world. Only You can do that Lord. Lord You are Big, Bold, Holy, Righteous, Loving, Faithful, Wise and so many other things that would require tongues to express. I am small, shy, unholy, unrighteous, loving with conditions, unfaithful and stupid in comparison to You. Lord help me to remember my place. Humble me Lord I pray, that I might be Your chosen vessal to work Your plans in Your way.....Whatever way You deam acceptable. Oh and Lord, please dont send me back to a traditional church....just joking. I will go where You send me.
amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead....Make my day!