Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Sunday, May 14, 2006

High School Reunion

I finished one paper yesterday and got started on the next. It came time to go out to the High School Reunion, and my brides brother called looking for a ride. (and sensing the opportunity for a designated driver) So I got the great idea of skipping the party and Sue could go with her brother. I had it all cooked up. "Honey I will give you a $100.00 to spend...I'll drive you and your bro to and from the event...just let me stay and finish my paper" She looked at me and said " its not about the money or the rides. I wanted to go with you" Well doesnt that make a heart melt. I fealt like were still dating after all these years. Suddenly I became excited about a hot date. Yes...we would go and we would party!....and party we did!

It was so great catching up with some old friends. It was especially nice seeing my old and dear friend Debbie. We had so much fun! She and I went for a walk around the block. We hugged and held hands. STOP I know what you are thinking! NO! It felt so liberating to express the love we have AS FRIENDS and not be worried or caught up with appearances. It was funny, because there was this guy who obviously had too much to drink, and he was trying to aid me in how to advance with this very beautiful girl. He was frustrated because I was not picking up on the signs and neither was she. We just looked at each other thinking "if you only knew" Debbie was a sister to me. We played in a band together. We shared growing up in those golden years. She still has this fabulous joy for life. She has beautiful eyes and they are full of love, and peace and care.

Oh and then there was Theresa. She is a good friend of Debbie's, and my wife Sue considered her to be a sister. Sue went out with Teresas brother for many years. He was killed in a car accident. Teresa wins the prize for the most beautiful eyes. She is stunningly beautiful, but her eyes! Oh her eyes. I complimeneted her saying Oh Teresa. You still have the most beautiful eyes in the world. They are like great big calf's eyes. We laughed. Quite a compliment eh! Well we live in an agricultural community and calfs eyes are known to be very beautiful. We shared good times and confided in each other about life and other matters.

Oh Oh and then there was Angie. Angie was one of my first girl friends. Angie was in high spirits and we went for drinks more than once. The bar was closing down and Angie is related to half the town and had no problems securing us some more beer. Angie is still as beautiful as ever.

Man I felt like a king. Surrounded by 4 of the most beautiful girls in the world. Back in high school, there would have been jelousy games and posturing. But today there were people who truly yearned for the presence and companionship of old friends. We all hugged, drank and swapped stories.

Oh and Mr. designated driver realized at 1:00 that he had too much to drink. I guess the idea of a designated driver is that they are to NOT drink! Well that ruled all of us out. So we had to do creative calculations to determine the ratio of amount drank vs how much one could lose if caught. Well I got the nod. We had to hang out for an hour and a half so that I at least had a chance to pass a breathalizer. I was shooting to blow a warning......and I claim not to like gambling!

I know youre thinking...Donald! Well here it is. I miss getting pissed. I miss high gear revelry. I miss my friends and howling at the moon. YET, in retrospect, life is different for me now. I find joy with where I have been and I have a peaceful joy for where my life is taking me. So I try to strike a balance. Certainly as a future pastor, I will have certain responsibilities to be or maintain the appearance of being straight laced and 100% law abiding. Some would argue that I should be disqualified. Its just that deep down inside is this person who loves to party and live a little dangerous. I dont fit the mold. Do I give up, do I force change on myself that I dont want, do I just shut up and struggle with the two sides of Don? I am really afraid about "the lines in the sand". I am trying to figure out what side of the line I'm on, or, can I straddle the line. By the book, I sinned last night. Does my lack of remorse preclude me from forgiveness? or Is there a need for forgiveness? Is it a good enough response for me to say "shit happens" or do I need to seriously give my head a shake.

I know one thing, if I dont find some aspirin soon, my heads gonna explode!

3 comments:

  1. Don
    You bad gurl.
    Go to your closet...right now!
    Better still, go to your room!
    Oh you are in your room.
    Just wait till I see you on MSN.
    I will send you a nudge that you wont forget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you are honest enough to be real... I struggle with the balance thing .. it is such a fine line.. pastor or not.. go as God leads dude... and if He didn'tlead you to drink too much then that is where you got off track.. When we cease hearing His still small voice.. we've pushed the envelope that much too far.. but... Jesus forgives... always... but as Paul said.. that ain't a license dude. (Paraphrase mine) Luv ya... Jules

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
    »

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead....Make my day!