Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Friday, May 18, 2007

Remembering Dan

So it had been 17 years since I saw Dan. I guess I ask myself, If it had been 17 years, then how much of a freind was I...really? I like to think we were friends...even buddy's...yet 17 years is a long time. Obviously many things change and happen in 17 years. Yet, my memories are strong and vivid. They remain very clear to me, as If they just happened. Dan and I did so many things together. They were impressionable years. Thinking back probably the best 5 or 6 years of my life. Its like time stands still, because I rememebr so much from those days. I doubt I will ever forget Dan even though 17 years stands between us. Soon the 17 years will turn to 17 more years...Lord willing. I have every confidence that Dans memory will remain. Here is one story I will share.

Dan, Brian, Bruce and I went camping/canoeing on a remote island in Northern Algonquin. It was the long May weekend and spirits were high and we had ample supply of "Northern Draft Balls" When we arrived to the island we chopped off a chunk of ice we found in the bay. We dug a whole in the ground, and put the draft balls and ice in. We covered it all over and Presto! Cold draft beer all weekend!


After a few mugs we heard other people on the other side of the island. We decided we would venture over and say hi. We partyed with them and then returned to our side of the island. On the way back, we came across a moose. Dan was really excited and ran back to the camp for his camera. We stayed on the side of the hill quietly. He returned and took a picture. We shouted.." get a little closer" He took several paces closer and took another picture. Again we shouted "get a little closer". Again Dan took several paces closer. This carried on until Dan was looking eye to eye with the moose. He took one last picture, and when the shutter went, the moose freaked and jumped at Dan. Dan tried to skurry but tripped on a log. The moose kicked Dan right in the head. He got up and ran like the wind. I know that it was the wrong reaction to laugh given the seriousness of the situation, but we couldnt help it. In fact, we laughed so hard our side were splitting.



Well Dan was a little upset by the whole ordeal. Bruce made one comment and Dan said "Thats it! I'm outta here. He grabbed all his belongings and headed out......across the island. We were thinking...How far could he go? We were after all on an island. The following day we headed out to find him. It had been raining all night. We found him in his shorts and soaking wet T shirt. He was standing there saying "Where am I and where is all my stuff?" We spent the rest of the day combing the island for Dans belongings. We found them in a sink hole covered in water. The only thing that stuck out of the water was Dan's "Canadian Dinner Jacket"





Surprisingly, his camera and the pictures survived the ordeal. Dan had the good sense of putting his camera in the waterproof canoe bag. I saw the pictures last time I saw him. I have asked his wife to find them and send me scans or copies. It would mean the world to me. However, without those pictures.......my memories still remain.

1 comment:

  1. Just found your blog - great story about Algonquin - sorry to hear about your friend.
    Just got back from a trip there myself: http://mungobah.blogspot.com/
    All the best,
    Simon

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead....Make my day!