Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Monday, January 21, 2008

Old Growth Forest


The wonders never cease! While investigating the Ishpatina Ridge hike trip we'd like to take, I came across yet another interesting article. This article speaks of the Old Growth Forest at Temagami.
Here is a quote from the article....
"This unique stand at the north end of Obabika Lake is the largest continuous stand of old-growth red and white pine forest remaining in the world.

The 380-year-old white pine in this ancient ecosystem were young trees at the time of the founding of the Hudson's Bay Company. Among their neighbours are old-growth white cedar and black ash. After naturally going about its day-to-day struggle for thousands of years, this forest played a pivotal role in the protection of Temagami and the recognition of old-growth forest in eastern North America. If you haven't seen old-growth pine — and I don't mean gazing at the treetops from your canoe — then you must beach your canoe and follow the Triangle's hiking trails."
So I emailled my buddy Mike and said "Take me There" He replied...."thats a tough piece of real estate to access. the first removed bridge is a 55 minute atv ride from emerald lake. then its another 14 miles or so of what appears good road (with another removed bridge)to the top of lake obabika. thats where the roads appear to end. the heart of that area has no form of access. alternatively one could canoe the length of the obabika...about 18 or 20 miles and then camp at the northern shore. the area with the hiking trails is a .5 km or so bushwack from the obabika. its a beautiful area and another adventure for the to-do list."
OK so nowI have 3 items on the to do list at Temagami
1 Climb Ishpatika
2 Catch an Aurora Trout
3 Hug an Old Growth Tree
And thats all I have to say about that.
dw

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead....Make my day!