Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Thursday, March 06, 2008

Reading On.....

So I read in the bath tub for a couple of hours last night...prune..yes

I came across a number of other views on the "Rupert River" loss. As Rink Rat pointed out, there are 2 sides to every coin. In support of that notion, here are some quotes I found at National Geographic.

Namagoose, now the executive director of the High Council of the Cree, defends the agreement against some environmentalists' claims that it is a sale to the devil. "They want us to go down fighting for the sake of environmental protection," he said. "[But] every nation should be allowed to benefit from the extraction of its natural resources. That's the concession we see in our present situation."

So in other words, we do it all the time. Why cant they? Interesting but true.

"The Cree people are living in what can only be described as extreme poverty," said David Boyd, a professor of environmental law at Simon Fraser University in Vancouver, British Columbia. "Their leaders made a decision—a very difficult decision, I'm sure—to sacrifice some of the environment to reap the economic benefits of development in their region."

I also read that the output of the Hydro project is the equivilent of XX number of Nuclear plants. (cant rememebr but is was mid boggling) Do I like Nuclear power...no. So we get into a "best worst scenario" Where the hydro going to come from to fuel our demand?

In the National Geographic article, they suggest going to the people who are creating the demand. Where there is demand, there is sale. And we have proven time and again that we are willing to sell our futures for today... Am I willing to change my lifestyle? I want so badly to say yes, but I fear the answer is no. Is this the heart of the issue?
Have the Cree people already given up on their way of life?
Does the leadership represent the people?

I will read on.

3 comments:

  1. hi don,
    i happened to stumble upon your blog and was surprised to see the rupert issue is still being debated.
    i have been involved in this issue for more than 4 years and i'm sad to say that david boyd doesn't know what he's talking about.
    if u ever have the chance watch the documentary "one more river" produced by rezolution pictures on the process that lead to the apparent consent to the great deal of 2002.
    if you want some facts on the rupert project itself check www.savetherupert.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will go there and I will read. I'm not really debating, I'm just trying to learn. I only now learned of all of this happening. Where have I been? I would love to see the film. I am confused a bit as there are so many conflicting thoughts. One thing is for sure. I really want to go there. I want to touch the Rupert.

    Does anyone know when it will be killed? I sure would love to see it before its dealt the blow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Wireless, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://wireless-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead....Make my day!