Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Waskaganish - Goodbye Rupert...I'm sorry

A few years ago I heard a very compelling interview with an Indian Chief regarding the impact of “turning off” the Rupert River. This chief was part of a community of around 2000 people who lived up on James Bay where the Rupert River meets James Bay. This is a Cree village and is one of many such villages scattered around that area.

As you may or may not be aware, Hydro Quebec is proceeding with another phase of the James Bay Hydro Electric Power Project. This phase of the project will involve redirecting the Rupert River to the newly to be created reservoir. The diversion will apparently result in an 80 decrease in the river flow.

As a friend and I were exploring the possibility of a grand road trip up the James Bay Highway, I realized in geographical terms, the extent of this hydro project. I also learned that not only was a major paved highway installed, but that roads had been put in to reach these otherwise remote Cree Communities.

As I looked at the map, I recalled the interview with the Indian Chief. The community is known as Waskaganish. The access road was built in 2002. Older maps refer to this Community as Rupert House. A light bulb went off. Suddenly I remembered my Canadian History and Geography. Turning back to the history books, I learned or remembered how this was the location of the first Hudson Bay Trading Outpost.

This outppost was established in 1668. The ships would come from the old world brining goods and supplies to the Trading Post. The Crees and other Aboriginal groups would bring pelts to trade for goods. This was the beginning of our nation.

This land was “given” to Prince Rupert and much of early Canada was known as Ruperts Land. The Rupert River marks the spot of our first real meaningful and cooperative interactions with the Native people. This spot at Waskaganish is a very relevant to me as it reflects a more accurate ownership of this land….the Cree people.

Call me a tree hugger, but when the Rupert River gets turned off, that will mark a dark day for us all. Our insatiable appetite for electricity will result in the loss of true Canadian and perhaps more importantly True Cree Native identity. These people lived off this land for 1000’s of years. Crees have been living off rivers like the Rupert as a way of life.

Thanks to the “soon to be destroyed” Rupert River, We will all be able to run our airconditioners all day even when we are not there. We will be able to leave every light on in the house with no concern of the cost. We will be able to get bigger and better TV’s, more appliances and other magical electrical devices….Shame on us.

And when I go and visit Waskaganish, with great shame, I will go to the Chief and apologize. It wont bring the river back and it wont restore the Crees way of life. My apology will not address our years of bullying these people. It wont address the loss of habitat and wild life. It wont address the years of hardship and unknown results of our “progress” My apology wont do what I really want…….and neither will my tears.

Goodbye Rupert….I’m sorry

2 comments:

  1. Hi Don - a very good friend directed me to your blog about the Rupert..

    Although I am English and live in Scotland, I feel very much for the Cree and their lands, their way of life and the Rupert River - and the other rivers too that have already been damaged by Hydro Quebec - and those that undoubtably will be in the future too. How any person / company can be so shortsighted and so foolish is beyond my comprehension. Future generations of Cree and other Canadians will look back in horror and anger at this blatant money-making exercise.

    I believe too, that not only Candians will 'benefit' from being able to run their airconditioners all day etc., but even your neighbours over the border will be able to do so, as the electricity produced is to be sold there....

    I understand your wish to apologize to the Chief - I have as yet never been to your beautiful country and yet I feel as guilty about this folly as yourself. It is on all our shoulders..

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you apologize to the chief he'll look at you like you have 2 heads.

    I followed the link, Goodbye Rupert...I'm sorry to the news articles on the project web site.

    From the site...

    "This is an historic moment for the Crees," said Grand Chief Ted Moses. "We will build our communities, find and create employment opportunities for the Crees in the development of the territory and we will build our Nation."

    "This is an agreement to implement Québec's obligations under section 28 of the [1975] James Bay and Northern Quebec Agreement while at the same time it preserves and increases the Cree rights in the agreement. It is an agreement that vindicates the long Cree campaign since 1975 to have our rights respected," Chief Moses said.

    The agreement includes cash payments to the Cree of C$24 million in 2002, C$46 million the following year, then C$70 million a year for 48 years. The Cree also get more control over their community and economy, more power over logging and more Hydro-Quebec jobs.

    "We will receive from Quebec payments in order for us to properly carry out these responsibilities in accordance with priorities and means which we, the Cree, deem appropriate for our own development." said Chief Moses when the Agreement in Principle was signed last October.


    I agree with you that the loss of such majestic natural splendor is tragic. But I can't help but wonder if this is the proverbial falling tree in the forest?

    Power from the project could reduce the many tons of toxic emittions from coal or gas power stations we pump into the atomosphere each year contributing to global warming. The number of people using electricity from this project could be a million or more. How many of those have ever been to the area or would have gone in their lifetime? Of the 2,000 people living in the area 70% voted for the project so they're satisfied. Did you total the value of the payments to the Cree people? $3.4 BILLION over 50 years!!

    Tell me again who you'd apologize to?

    As to the loss of our cultural heritage, when was the last time you bought something from a Hudson's Bay Company store? When was the last time you bought something from Walmart?

    To a man we are our own worst enemy. We think in noble terms but act selfishly daily.

    As a person who interprets the bible in a premillenial context, I believe and take comfort in the knowledge that there is a tree-hugger King coming very soon who will put a stop to death by environmental suicide and teach us how to care for this world and the people in it the way it was meant to be cared for because we have proven we are ill-equiped for the job.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead....Make my day!