Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Water Crossings


Well we had an incredible journey through some really rugged and beautiful land. With all the rain, lake levels were high and many trails were water logged. Also, beavers had een in and there were many creeks that were flooded. We drove 125km. We had intended to go until we ran out of gas (we brought gas with us for the return journey. The reality is trail after trail eventually proved to much for this novice. Its a little daunting knowing that you are 60km from the nearest help. Its a long walk I imagine. Thankfully we made safe decisions and saved our walking legs for another day.
The above picture was as far as we made it into upper Yorkston. I was tright behind Mike and as soon as the water hit the exhaust we determined it was deaper yet. We debated and if we were crazy enough we could have done it. We played it safe though and returned home for another day. The second picture is me crossin at a blown out bridge. We had high hopes but got turned around by a very nasty river crossing.
We went as far as we could with the trails that we used. We decided rather than spend the evening there, that we could still catch sunset at lower goose falls so we made quick tracks back to familiar territory. I ran out of gas almost at lower goose and reserves got me home. Mike also went into reserve. We know our bikes can take us about 125km on a tank.
We returned to camp and had a campfire feast and a blazing fire.


2 comments:

  1. How cold did it get at night? Sleeping was ok?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 6 degrees celsius at night. My buddy said it was 2 this morning at 3am. Frost should be coming in a week opr two. Sleeping was very comfortable in the bus. My summer bag was more than enough with an extra blanket. I turned the heater on when I was wet from rain but other than that it was stellar.
    dw

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead....Make my day!