Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Friday, December 12, 2008

Zen and the Art of Rubber Dog Shit

I got to thinking about about my comment about how the auto workers should go out and buy a car they themselves manufacture.

I got to thinking about my brother in law. He works for Chrysler. He drives a Chrysler Caliber and his wife drives a Chrysler mini van. His father has a Dodge Ram truck and recently purchased a Chryler Jeep. He loved it so much, He just bought a second one exactly the same to keep at his winter location in Arizona. I drive a Chrysler Sebring and My wife drives a Chrysler mini van.My sister in law drives a Chrysler product as well. My brother has 2 Chrysler mini vans. My sister drives a Chrylser product and so does her husband. My mom drives a GM and so does my other brotherinlaw. My son drives a GM.

I was watching the news and people were commenting on how the Big Three make crappy vehicles. Comment after comment talked about arrogance and poor workmanship. This does not measure up to my experience.

My friend Ron was quick to comment on how Toyota, Honda and Suzuki all have plants here in Ontario producing fine vehicles with Canadian labour. He was also quick to comment on how the big three all have stakes in the very overseas plants that are killing us.

I guess its going to come down to cost, efficiency and quality. As long as we have a love afair with shipping our manufacturing overseas so that we can by cheaper rubber dog shit, then we shall suffer. As we send all our jobs to Mexico and China so that we as the consumer can pay unrealistic low prices,we will get the crap, and we will lose our livelihoods doing it.

If I was to buy the product that is grown on my neighbours land, then I pay more than having it grown in China underneath some polluted nuclear plant, and it will be shipped in container ships so that I can consume the very poison that is ruining their land...all at a cheaper price? Or what is the cost of putting my produce on a truck and shipping it from Mexico or Arizona. I get cheap produce and then my tax dollars repair the roads and the infrustructure required for me to buy food outside of my community.

Man, I'm ranting again. I sound protectionist dont I? The thing is, EVERYTHING has a cost.We are fooling ourselves when we think we are buying cheaper. Maybe its time to truly count the costs. Oh and the Big Three Unions will have to reduce the wages of their workers so that they can be competative with the nations that produce vehicles with next to slave labour and no care for the environment.

As I look around I have come to the conclusion that even though rubber dog shit has just reached an all time low, I cant afford to buy any, because all the Canadian Rubber Dog Shit manufacturers have all moved their plants to China and now there is no one here who can afford to buy what I sell.. China is now the undisputed champion of rubber dog shit and they have lots of other neat stuff as well. Dont belive me.....just check our dumps and garbage piles and Walmart.

1 comment:

  1. I hate cheap rubber shit too, makes me feel like cheap shit, i would rather smell the real deal and know that i'm alive!!! I don't rekon the false ecomomy mentality will reverse from people thinking about it, but i rekon it will crash so friken way badly and then we'll only have local stuff to buy again, like it was once when the oldies remaniss.

    So forget the rubber shit and dust off the crap-o-meter thas been in the loft for like years because the real shit is hitting the fan and even the shed-loads are gonna smell it!

    H

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead....Make my day!