Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Emerald Lake Swan - Technologies Finest Moment

I was sitting at my desk when this arrived by email. It's a picture of a swan up at my camp at Emerald Lake. Its a beauty. Unfortunately its alone. Swans arrive at various lakes and ponds at ice out on their way up to the Arctic. This beauty will stay for a couple of weeks and then move on.

I call this technologies finest moment because the picture was shot by digital camera, downloaded to P.C., uploaded via sattelite to my email in Mississauga. You gotta love technology! I experienced this picture only moments after it occurred. Its a small and beautiful world.
I found this little info on the Star.com website....

THEY'RE THE ONES WITH BLACK BEAKS ... AND YELLOW TAGS
Appearance: Trumpeter swans have snowy white feathers and black beaks.
Lifespan: In captivity, up to 24 years; in the wild, 17 years
Wingspan: 2 metres
Weight: 10 to 12 kilograms
Eggs: About 11 centimetres long
Love life: Trumpeters tend to mate for life but may separate and mate with others.
Hardiness: Trumpeter swans adapt well to cold temperatures – their down can be 5 cm thick. They are able to tolerate extreme cold, even —30 C, as long as they have adequate food and open water in which to feed and bathe.
Nests: Trumpeter nesting season is about to begin. Built in wetlands, their nests are more than 1.5 metres in width and are often well hidden.
Tags: Scientists rely on public sightings of swans for their studies. If you see a trumpeter swan – many have bright yellow tags – email: theholtentwo@rogers.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead....Make my day!