Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Monday, August 03, 2009

Cree, Woodland Cree, Universal or Ojibway Syllabics

.
I have a little challenge bestowing me. I need to translate this name which is written in sylabics on a piece of art. Its the best example I could find.
.
.
I beleive the above table is the one I should use as it most closely resembles the sylabics I am looking at, however I did also look at the tables below. One is Woodland Cree and the other is Plains Cree. They translate fairly close.
.

.

.
I am trying to figure out the name on the art. No doubt, it will translate to either Cree or Ojibway and then I guess I would need to translate it to English to understand what it means.
.
I use the word means, because I beleive this would be a spirit name vs a given name. A given name says who you are, but the spirit name is what you are. It tells much more about the person.
.
Any ways Here is what I have so far but I'm stumped.


paa ci waa sa ki maa shi taa ?
Now what? hhmm........


3 comments:

  1. Wow! Don! I had no idea you were going to turn this into a whole post....

    What is says is:

    "Paachiwaaskimaashtaau"

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is why I sign my posts with "P"

    P.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paaciwaasakimaashitaa.
    Hey I came close! I cant beleive it! Must be the dialect or the translation tables I used. So "Paachiwaaskimaashtaau", what does it mean? I see, by the way, why you just sign P.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead....Make my day!