Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Getting Old Not So Gracefully

I stopped at a stop sign to wait and watch an elderly gentleman cross in front of me. It was painstaking. He was walking at a snails pace, one inch at a time and it took all the energy and mobility he had to do so. Of course, I waited patiently. On the following day, around the same time and at the same intersection, I met up with him again...and waited once again. This time I asked him if he wanted a lift. He said No Thankyou, I'm just out for a walk. I applauded this man in my heart, because he wasnt going to let his disability win over him.

Today at lunch I saw an elderly man with a cane, struggle to carry his coffee. I said, would like like a hand sir? He smiled at me and said, thank you young man, but its OK. I have to learn to deal with my disability and I dont want it take over my life. As difficult as it is, I will not concede defeat. I told him that I hope when I face my time, that I do it with as much grace and determination as he did.

A couple of years ago, I went for a walk on a beautiful trail in Parry Sound and on my travel I came across a man  in a motorized wheel chair. I smiled at him and he didnt seam to respond. He had a brace for his head and drool on his face. I felt badly for him. Next day, we took a boat trip on the Island Queen. There on the front deck was the same man. A lite bulb went off in my head. This gentleman was real inside and he obviously was doing things that would bring him pleasure. He was out on the walking trails, off on boat rides. He was doing the same things as me, only with a lot more trouble.

So now I have to say hats of and salute these three gentlemen. I want these pictures  of determination etched in my mind. I will use them as inspiration. I hope that when or if I reach their states, that I am as strong and graceful as these guys. These are hero's! There are also many life lessons to be learned here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead....Make my day!