Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Monday, April 12, 2010

Six Nations Eagle Feather

Love Rock and White Feather Copyright Okwaho 2009

I was told to leave my house on Sunday as there were many real estate people going through my abode. So I thought.....hhhmmm what shall I do? I decided to go to church and take it from there. Enroute, I got a call from a freind in Burlington. Suddenly I thought about Bald Eagles, the Grand River and the Six Nations Reserve. I said..."hey, wanna be a copilot? I think we should go and see an eagle." Buddy said right on, so off to Burlington I went to pickup my bombadier. We cleaned up my convertable a bit, put the top down and made our way to the reserve. The Six Nations Land is over by Brantford on the Grand River. I learned that the Six Nations Land is quite large and that the main town seemed to be Oshwegan.

I really wanted to see an eagle. I know that the Eagles are returning and I just had a gut sense that we would see one. We also wanted to stop at a number of smoke shops, gift shops and art shops. We found a great little art gallery. We stayed for a bit. When I mentioned about my love for native art and craft, Okwaho the artist and I found commonality. He preferred sculptures. He made some "LoveRock" necklaces and I decided that I would buy one. He said "Would you like to understand the meaning behind the art?"

He truned off the TV that had been blaring in the background. He turned on some soft chant music, cleared his throught and began to teach us. He taught us that the strongest and most powerful thing on this planet is Love. That is why he chose to create the heart out of soap stone. He told us that many years ago, his poeple faught. He said that The Peacemaker came and taught his people the way of love and peace. When The Peacemaker had brought about this peace, he then turned into an eagle and flew away. That is why Okwaho made the feather on the front of the love stone. It represents peace.

Okwaho etched his name on the stone for me and I now keep that stone in my medicine bag hanging from my rear view mirror. It reminds me of this wonderful peace story and of course it reminds me of the great peacemaker.

The Eagle Feather on the Love stone was as close as we got to eagles on this fine day yet neither of us were disaapointed....especially after smoking from the peace pipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead....Make my day!