Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Could I Still Know God?

"Gitchie Manido Great Spirit Praises" Copyright 2009 don wright

Ok, so I posed this question. If all the religious books and all the religious teachers were wiped from existance, could we still know God? I thought I might just ramble a bit and play with that thought. I realize its an impossible question but what the heck.

So here I am. No Knowledge of God. No one to teach me or show me. Nothing for me to read. Everyone around me is in the same boat. Lets say everything is great, I have food, shelter, companionship and of course..."stuff". Do I know God? Do I consider that these great things I have, to be provided by someone or something much greater or more powerful than myself?....not likely. I dont think I would know God or seek to know God, unless of course He chose me, called me or introduced Himself to me. I rekon, outside of God revealing himself to me, I would have no cause to seek him as long as all was well. I guess I'm a bit ashamed at that, but, hey..I just think thats what would happen.

Ok so lets say that things are NOT very good. Lets say I cant find food or shelter. Lets say I face hardship of every kind, that cause me great stress, discomfort and fear. Now, am I likely to seek a God, or a higher power, to help me in my time of need? Would I cry out to someone or somethiong unseen in my anguish and search? Would I begin to question my existance and the why's, and hows of it all? I think I would. I think that through my brokeness I would seek. My sense is that as I seeked, God would be found. If I didnt seek, then I am sure those around me would. As answers were found, no doubt they would be shared. People would begin to share their experience, their stories, their ideas and of course their questions.

Amongst the people, there would be those who were more passionate about the search and sharing the knowledge. There would perhaps be those who God Himself guided or put his spirit of knowledge and teaching in. There would be those who understood the importance of these teachings and seek to pass down this knowledge. These would be the Shamans, the Elders, The Prophets, The Rabbi's, The Pastors etc. There would be seeds for stories, legends, teachings, wisdom collections and art.

Lets say that each of these groups of poeple lived in differant places in the world, and lived in conflict with each other. If we shared what we learned, would it be heard? Would it be accepted? Could each of us have come to a knowledge and acceptance of "God" in our own way?

Heres a ramble. I am standing there and lightning strikes my house and it blows up in flames. Hhhhmm. I have had this suspision of a higher power and suddenly I see proof. Only a God could have power like that! So I begin to worship this "God" whos face is lightning. I create an art that looks like a lightning bolt and I begin to use it in my prayers. I put it around my neck to remind me and others of my devotion to the lightning God. I begin to see and understand the importance of this new found lightning God.

Or lets say I'm standing there and a snake lurches forward and bites the person beside me. They immediately fall down dead, foaming at the mouth. OK, so who and what has the power to create or destroy life like this? Only a God. So then I wonder, why did the snake bite him and not me. I begin to seek Gods answer. Who is God? Dont know yet, but I think He might be in the snake. So I share my snake story and make a piece of art to remind me. I use this art as I recall the tale and possible xplanation of the all powerful snake God.

All around me people are beginning to find answers in differant ways. All were seeking, and to all, came answers.

So where is God in all this? Well I rekon either he would sit silent, or he would interject. He would either hide himself or make himself known.

If he stayed up there in heaven silently watching as we fought with each other about His existance, then although He would find it pathetic, I think He would also grant grace as He Himself did nothing to clear the air or make the truth known. I guess we as people would just cling to the cllective thought of our culture, as we attempted to support one another and find common ground to the questions we had.

Lets say that God did not sit silent, but willfully made himself known to man. Of course, this would be good, as we searchers would be given the answers from the creator itself.......interesting....creator itself. Jeesh, so all along in my fantasy I have been referring to this mighty God as He, yet since in my fantasy, all knowledge had been wiped clean, it does not make sense for me to consider God to be He.

I suppose in a world where man is lording over woman with strength, it is probable for me to project God to therfor be a man. No wait. The most beautiful thing on earth is a woman's body, therefor I imagine God would be 36, 24, 36..no wait a minute, 38, 24, 36...She is after all God!

Yet as I consider fresh, God become more universal....neither male nor female. It does not make logical sense to give God a gender. Yet if I call God "IT" then suddenly my past life as an israellite gets all offended. My goodness, imagine if during my time as a musician in King Davids court, I referred to the Lord God as IT or She! I would have been thrown on the ark of the covenant!

Where was I? Oh yes, so God chooses to reveal itself to mankind. What does that look like? How is that done? Does it happen to everyone? Does it reveal itself to only select few? Who? How? Would God do it the same for all people or is God seen in their experiences?

hhhmmm..lots of questions. I rekon that everyone would be asking questions like this as we all searched to understand life.

I wonder if I made it all too complicated. I wonder if there is a simple God Spirit that simply dwells in us. We could search high and low for something we simply have.

My wise sister Brenda planted this seed. Here is how she put it...."Even our thoughts and ideas are not who we are, but who we are is the person underneath those thoughts and ideas. Because i can have thoughts, so there must be a me to have those thoughts, so that me is spirit and...then i start thinking.....I read in a book recently that ego (flesh, thoughts, ideas, self) is selfish and that our spirit isn't, it's just us. Like we're draggin around our sorry-ass mind and body that gets in the way of us being spirit led."

Well I'm going to stop my little fantasy now and ponder. I guess one thing I would like to say is that I sure am glad to have the very spirit of God dwell in me. I am glad I am not seeking God for the first time, with no knowledge of him. I have seen what that kind of life is like. I am glad God chose to reveal Himself to me through Jesus Christ.......the Ultimate Shaman......God with us...God in me.

Smile...God loves you

6 comments:

  1. Solomon...

    The words of the Preacher, the son of David, king in Jerusalem.
    Vanity of vanities," says the Preacher, "Vanity of vanities! All is vanity."
    What advantage does man have in all his work which he does under the sun?
    A generation goes and a generation comes, but the earth remains forever.
    Also, the sun rises and the sun sets and hastening to its place it rises there again.
    Blowing toward the south, then turning toward the north, the wind continues swirling along, and on its circular courses the wind returns.
    All the rivers flow into the sea, yet the sea is not full.
    To the place where the rivers flow, there they flow again.
    All things are wearisome, man is not able to tell it.
    The eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor is the ear filled with hearing.
    That which has been is that which will be, and that which has been done is that which will be done.
    So there is nothing new under the sun.
    Is there anything of which one might say, "See this, it is new"?
    Already it has existed for ages which were before us.
    There is no remembrance of earlier things, and also of the later things which will occur,
    There will be for them no remembrance among those who will come later still.

    I, the Preacher, have been king over Israel in Jerusalem.
    And I set my mind to seek and explore by wisdom concerning all that has been done under heaven. It is a grievous task which God has given to the sons of men to be afflicted with.
    I have seen all the works which have been done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and striving after wind.
    What is crooked cannot be straightened and what is lacking cannot be counted.
    I said to myself, "Behold, I have magnified and increased wisdom more than all who were over Jerusalem before me; and my mind has observed a wealth of wisdom and knowledge."
    And I set my mind to know wisdom and to know madness and folly; I realized that this also is striving after wind.
    Because in much wisdom there is much grief, and increasing knowledge results in increasing pain.


    There is nothing better for a man than to eat and drink and tell himself that his labor is good. This also I have seen that it is from the hand of God. For who can eat and who can have enjoyment without Him?


    For to a person who is good in His sight He has given wisdom and knowledge and joy, while to the sinner He has given the task of gathering and collecting so that he may give to one who is good in God's sight. This too is vanity and striving after wind.


    There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven--
    A time to give birth and a time to die;
    A time to plant and a time to uproot what is planted.
    A time to kill and a time to heal;
    A time to tear down and a time to build up.
    A time to weep and a time to laugh;
    A time to mourn and a time to dance.
    A time to throw stones and a time to gather stones;
    A time to embrace and a time to shun embracing.
    A time to search and a time to give up as lost;
    A time to keep and a time to throw away.
    A time to tear apart and a time to sew together;
    A time to be silent and a time to speak.
    A time to love and a time to hate;
    A time for war and a time for peace.

    What profit is there to the worker from that in which he toils?
    I have seen the task which God has given the sons of men with which to occupy themselves.
    He has made everything appropriate in its time. He has also set eternity in their heart, yet so that man will not find out the work which God has done from the beginning even to the end.
    I know that there is nothing better for them than to rejoice and to do good in one's lifetime; moreover, that every man who eats and drinks sees good in all his labor--it is the gift of God.
    I know that everything God does will remain forever; there is nothing to add to it and there is nothing to take from it, for God has so worked that men should fear Him.

    RR

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice response! Now here is a man who despite being the richest most influential person of his time, still sought God. I said that when things were good, I had no reason to seek God. Heres a man who had it all and yet found it to be vanity....and it sent him seeking answers. This is really great scripture. I rthink I'm gonna re-read it.
    cheers
    don

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok so like yes i think we would know God if there were no books, blah de blah etc..etc.. (these hypotheticals suck LOL) because hes given us two lights. One is the light of creation and the other is the light of our conscience.

    Even if another tribe came an plundered your tribe and killed all yr women and kids and took all yr stuff, they would know it was wrong etc...so everyone has a basic knowledge of what's right and wrong.

    Ok SO... that leaves Jesus. No one ca come except via Jesus so i think God would see the search for him by his people and send some way of telling them what Jesus did to right the relationship between them and God.

    See now i just went into Christianity 101 there with that last paragraph. HA! I don't know babe like how much of the whole Jesus sacrificial lamb was only for the Jews here??? Ok don't panick i don't mean it wasn't for evenyone but in the beginning God set up a story didn't he. Everything is relational and revolves round a story so... the story is that he chose the Jews and they had a system af dealing with sin (which wasn't ever meant to pay for salvation even in the old test they knew about being justified by faith) and so Jesus comes to be the last lamb to deal with mans effort to try and live a holy life before God.
    Jesus is like..."you can't do it, so i'm going to"

    Ok so but the gentiles never had that story and in some ways never had to be put right from the 7'000 gazzillion rules they lived by to be clean before God. Our story has always been different thas why it piddles me off when Christians turn all Jewishy.

    I'm not invalidating what Jesus did for the gentiles...in fact the whole world but what i am saying is... it was THEIR story he was doing that for and our story starts liek this..... THERE IS NO MORE CHOSEN PEOPLE WE'RE ALL THE SAME NOW and we got a new story.

    So what is the gentiles story?? I don't know i'm still thinking about it but it is based on restoration not lambs or anything it is based on restoring what was broken, being oil in a dry place, being proper love to people and getting off your arse and making a difference...our story is about not being scared and always towing the line but using the world that we got and being happy in it.

    So that paragraph where i went off on one about Jesus being the only way....i don't think words are necessary to tell the Jew story because we got a new one where THAT Jesus isnt needed no more (ok still dont panick) but the Jesus that we have is the one who says that sacrificial love is the only way... Dont be a slave to the story but realise that the story was needed but it's not needed now. Now we got a new story!

    Yeah i know... i went up my arse a bit HA!!

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dam i want to edit HA!!!
    I typed that too fast and after a few glasses of wine!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha..no editing here! Now you've said it! teehee.... You must be drinking Italian wine...try some laid back canadian wine!...seriosly though...good thoughts.

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christ is the greatest Shaman. Jesus, the man, is only the Lord of the sixth plane, according to Morrisseau. (Notice the present tense)

    For me, there is only "Spirit" with Christ as the "body" of brotherhood and conscience. My inner family "foundation".

    Solomon's Song....aaaaah. Now that man knew how to live... and why!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead....Make my day!