Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Sunday, July 11, 2010

Saying Goodbye - My Church Family

Several years ago, I was challenged by my Pastor, to be part of a church plant. He wasnt sure where and neither were we. We knew that this fresh church needed to be fairly close proximaty to our congregation in Erin. Pastor drew a big circle on a map and I picked Acton. I know Acton had been of some interest to the Pastor, but their were a few political hot potatos to contend with. In the mean time, we decided to GO AND SEE.

I remember vividly, meeting at the table, at my friend Rons house. He has an apartment overlooking the streets of Acton. As we prayed and talked and dreamed and vision casted, we could hear the traffic and city noise outside. When we began to share our stories and experiences in Acton, we decided then and there, that this place would be the object of our love and nurturement.

In the meantime, there was a rising Pastor in our parent church, who too had a heart and a passion for Acton. Not only that, but he had friends who also felt the call. My pastor put us together and I joined with them on a magnificent journey.

We decided that we needed to get hooked up to community. We also decided that we had to be bold in faith, yet humble. Upon suggestion by my buddy Ron, we went to Leathertown Tavern to check out facilities. We wanted to put on the Alpha course and Leathertown looked like a great choice. Not only was the owner supportive of the concept in his bar, but he is also an excellent cook. Meals were a large componant of this fellowship. The added bonus was there was a pool table, a patio and a loud and boisterious clientele. I do not necessarily recomend this combination as it is very distractive and very on the edge. Its just that this is where we needed to be. I remember with great fondness our interactions we had with not only our own participants, but also with those who drank enough courage to come over and talk. Many times afterwards, I would go and have a beer on the patio. Through this process, we were learning and we were remembering who and where Jesus told us to go.

We began to despise our old "come and see" attittudes and longed to exchange them for "go and do" attittudes. We began to see Jesus' church in the broader community, not just in our own house of worship.

Many years have passed now. This congregation has grown and grown well.....and I dont mean by numbers(though our numbers are substantial!). No, I see real change in many people lives. I see the fresh smiling face of Jesus and hands that reach to everyone, regardless of place and circumstance. I see a breaking of boundaries, as those who love Christ take their faith to the street, by simply living in His Spirit and simply being. Caring, sharing and a beautiful acceptance of individuality are common place.

Today was Sue and my last official service with Crossings Community Church in Acton. We were called to the front and recognized for our efforts and for our answering the call. The launch team laid hands on us and prayed for our protection and travelling mercies. They prayed in sorrow and in excitement. They are indeed brothers and sisters and we will surely miss this church family.

More powerful was the baptisms today. There were many poeple who chose to express their love for Christ in the waters of the baptismal trough. We heard many testimonies. Each one confirmed in my mind, the power of Jesus Christ, God in us. Time and again, people spoke how their lives were transformed and changed when their head knowledge turned into heart knowledge.

Thats it.......when the head knowledge turns to heart knowledge, you have met God. Yes we need head knowledge to "sort it all out" and to make it into something thats "understandable". Yet its almost as though "heart knowledge" is diametrically opposed. In the end, it is the greater of the two, for it is the place where love abides. All the knowledge in the world doesnt mean "Jack sh*t" until it rests in the heart.

I think now of my Holy Bible. All the words in the book dont mean a thing until they are animated in our hearts and lives. The words themselves are like math, that we cleverly make into formulas. We document those formulas and organize ourselves into camps to discuss all the ways, the other persons formula is wrong. We extrract the impotant elements of the formula and re-arrange them to show how we ourselves know the proper math.......and before long we are debating math and forgetting love.

True authenticity of life comes when those words take on life within. We need not be afraid of this. When the head knowledge turns to heart knowledge, Gods glory is reflected in how we behave, not what we say. Gods glory will shine from us as we simply be. While it is important to know the mathematics of our faith, lets be certain that God wants us to know the language of love in our hearts. He calls us to "be in Him and He will be in you". The only way to understand it, is through the heart, not the head.

Well I kinda rambled a bit, so I'll get back on track by saying that I cried today. I cried for the wonderful church family we are leaving. On the same token, I yearn for Gods calling to lead us to a new fellowship. We are open and ready to share our heart knowledge with our new community.

I wonder where the Great Spirit will lead us.

2 comments:

  1. Some blokes leave a room because they know they did some nasty-arse stink bomb that 2 seconds after they go you want to lay your fucking hands on them in a way that isn't healing!

    You are leaving behind something you helped do that smells so good to God and with fruit that people obviously tasted and were fed because it's growing. Reading abotu what you do gives me a buzz like you can't believe. The church where i'm at is more talk than action but i am trying to change that because i keep bringing people to church that make to much noise and piss people off because they don't know the routine. Shame eh? HA!

    I always want to be as brave as you two in life!!!!!!!

    You go daddio, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Don for the commemorative print by Stardreamer called Mothering earth, an AP, in honor to my sister's memory. I was lifted by it and the wonderful expression of love by all you guys.....Thanks so much. My nephew and I are enjoying the summer breeze of love, hope, faith & charity by all of you beautiful souls.......thank you.....MAJ......2010

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead....Make my day!