Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Saturday, November 05, 2005

Whats the shortest sentence in the Bible?

Whats the shortest sentence in the Bible?
John 11:35 says simply
"Jesus Wept"

I was talking with a freind today and made the claim that God cried for us.
She called me on that statement. She challenged me to find in the bible where God actually cries. I was gripped with wonder. I thought maybe for a moment I was projecting my wish and desire that God would care for us to the point of tears. You see, I made the claim that God was crying for her.
I am grateful that she knew that my statement needed to be qualified by the Holy Bible. Because of my inability to quote scripture and verse, I decided I had better sort this out. So I stood prepared to explain myself using Biblical proof, or, be prepared to appologize for not telling the truth.

So the first passage to look at is this passage in John 11:35

33 When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews
who had come along with her also weeping,
he was deeply moved in the spirit and troubled.
34 Where have you laid him? he asked.
Come and see, Lord, they replied
35 Jesus wept

What strikes me about this passage is that Jesus brought Lazerus back to life. If Jesus was God and had the power to reverse death, why would he spend the time and weep with us? Ponder that.

Here was another instance
Luke 19:44
41As he approached Jerusalem and saw the city, he wept over it 42and said, "If you, even you, had only known on this day what would bring you peace—but now it is hidden from your eyes. 43The days will come upon you when your enemies will build an embankment against you and encircle you and hem you in on every side. 44They will dash you to the ground, you and the children within your walls. They will not leave one stone on another, because you did not recognize the time of God's coming to you."

Jesus looked over Jerusalem and wept over it. Jesus knew what was going to happen and he wept for His people. He wept because the people were blinded and could not see. Jesus wept because they would not accept and recognize that God was with them. He wept because he knew the horrible consequences.

Weeping was not only an act of Christ.
In this prophetic staement in Isaiah 22:4 we see Gods weeping and anguish with the knowledge that his people would have to be destroyed.

4 Therefore I said, "Turn away from me:let me weep bitterly.
Do not try to console me over the destruction of my people."

OK so this is a tough one. Here we have God who is prepared to destroy His people for their wickedness and unbeleif. For their idolatry and their breaking of the covenent. So He plans to punish His people. Big, strong powerful. Just, wrathful vengefull. Strict punishment. WOW. So why the tears. Not only tears, but bitter tears. Bitter tears are even worse. God cried for what He was about to do.b He cried for what He had to do.

My mother related a story to me about my Grand Father. She recalls when he had to discipline my dad or uncle. She tells me that grampa would disappear into his room. He would pray and cry and agonize over the judgement that he had to proclaim. He would wipe the tears from his eyes, and rise from his "throne" and with sadness in his heart, pass judgement.

This picture is etched in my mind as a living example of the heart of God.
Gods judgement is just and true, but dont think for a moment that it is without pain, tears and mourning.

2 comments:

  1. God gave us free will. It is only natural to believe his feelings could be hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God gave us free will. It is only natural to believe his feelings could be hurt!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead....Make my day!