Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Thursday, February 09, 2006

What is Meant by "Created in Gods Image"?

Genesis 1
26 Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground."27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.
Genesis 5
1 This is the written account of Adam's line. When God created man, he made him in the likeness of God.
Genesis 9
6 "Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed; for in the image of God has God made man.
James 3
9With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness.

I contend, that we were made by God to honor and glorify God. We were made in His image, that we might continue and maintain a relationship with Him. We were made by Him and for Him.

I have heard it said that deep within us all is a God shaped vaccuum. That is the spot within our souls that is meant for God. As the analogy goes, we try to fill that spot with many things, because no one wants to feel hungry or empty within. We try possessions, drugs, alcohol, material things, alternate understandings, religions, etc... to fill that void. Nothing works until we accept that that spot is for God. We are drawn to Him because we were made by Him and for Him.

4 comments:

  1. okay okay, i have to not agree with the heard it said part. Even after a person fills the vacuum with God in there little holey part, they still often fill up themselfes with 'stuff'. and like i know what ya might be going to say, they need more and more of God to fill and less and less of them as they grow but that is wrong because the bible says that we are sealed with the Holy Spirit.
    and also it says, i have given you everything you need for life and godliness, that means everything!

    I think we have all the fulness of God in us, sealed, no more needed yeah and then we want to do it our own way. Thas it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who's the "our"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness"

    Hey good question. Who is "our". I have heard many explanations. Is it the "Royal We" or is it evidence of Jesus. John 1 suggests that this "our" is God/Jesus.

    1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was with God in the beginning.
    3Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4In him was life, and that life was the light of men.

    I had read "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness" a number of times and it never really sunk in. One day a friend told me that Jesus could be found in every book of the bible. So I started at the beginning searching. Very quickly this passage jumped from the page.
    I rememebr saying "Jesus...is that you?"

    You tell me...what do you think OUR is

    ReplyDelete
  4. "i have given you everything you need for life and godliness, that means everything!"

    Is not the knowledge of God all we need? This knowledge leads us to relationship. If one chooses to ignore God the path will lead one way. If one chooses to embrace God, the path goes the other.

    I still try to fill myself with stuff....but I seem to be getting better and better every day. I am not perfect...far from it....but, I have claimed that spot to be Gods spot and that has made all the difference.

    Change is a funny thing. Sometimes its immediate and sometimes it is a process.

    I cant really comment too much on the "sealed with the Holy Spirit"
    because I am not sure about the context and reference in which it was written. As an open statement, that could mean so many things. One might say something like you are the envelope, God/Jesus get put in, and the envelope is sealed by the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit may be the thing in this case that "seals" the case or brings finality or assurance. If you had the scripture reference that might help me.....or If I get a chance I can look it up myself.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead....Make my day!