Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Sturgeon River Spring Canoe Trip


I had an amazing weekend! I left Toronto at 4:30pm last Friday, and headed up to Sturgeon Falls to visit my friend MIke. Just outside of Parry Sound I saw my first moose of the year. It was standing on the side of the road and people were pulling over to take pictures. When I got to my turnoff, I pulled over and put the roof down on my convertable. What an amazing drive! The scenery was breath taking. I got to my buddies place around 9. We hit the sack early because we had a weekend of canoeing ahead of us. Last weekend, the lakes were still frozen, but this weekend they were open. We did a lake adventure on Lake Muskasing on Saturday Morning. Then on Sunday morning we did a canoe run down Sturgeon River. You can see the satellite image of the stretch we paddled. Again, the scenery was spectacular. I fell in love with this river. The river twists and turns for miles and miles. You can see by the picture, there are lots of "oxbows". An oxbow is a section of river that becomes orphaned from the main river. The oxbow remains as a small lake. My buddy Mike and I almost bought a 160 acre piece of property on the Sturgeon last year. During our canoe trip...we wished we did! I am going to keep my eye on this region, as I would love to relocate there. It would be about a 40 minute drive to North Bay. Oh and I saw another moose. Magnificent animals! I will return on the long May weekend and see how the black flies are......that could spell the end of a dream!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Sounds like a wonderful trip. Oxbow...I'd never heard of that before...cool! You know, in Scotland a moose is only 2 inches long. Hardly a magnificant animal at all!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead....Make my day!