Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Advice

Why do I find it so easy to give advice to others and then not take that advice myself?

I posted about my nervous stomach and how the stress was getting to me. Double R was kind enough to give me advice. His advice is right on the mark. It is advice that I have given to others. Why is it so easy for me to give the same advice while ignoring it in my own life...why?

Here is the advice that RR gave me......

I don't know the specifics of what you do or what about your job is causing your stess but I do know how that can be. I just promoted last month and am quite overwhelmed myself. Here's how I'm dealing with it. Maybe this might help you too!A course I took in school on conflict resolution and dispute management taught that each person in any conflict needs to know what their BATNA is. A BATNA is your Best Alternative To a Negotiated Settlement. Or in other words if this thing doesn't work out, what's the alternative?You're in a job that causes you a lot of stess. What if you screw up? You lose that job. Problem solved, no more stress. So don't worry about the job...lol. Kind of simplistic but certainly something to tuck into the back of your mind so you know can better prioritize it's importance. I'm sure you already know this but sometimes you just need to have someone tell it back to you. I know that these words have come to my rescue on many occasions like dealing with my new job or my financial situation. Matthew 6:27-34 And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life? And why are you worried about clothing? Observe how the lilies of the field grow; they do not toil nor do they spin, yet I say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you? You of little faith! Do not worry then, saying, ‘What will we eat?’ or ‘What will we drink?’ or ‘What will we wear for clothing?’ For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.I have to believe that if you're in a position of any kind of authority that you were put there by God either for the people who's livelyhood are affected by your decisions or to develop your own sense of Godly authority. Either way, God's there and your worry is not required. Have faith.RR

HHHMMM you know Double R. I used to get nervous about playing my guitar and singing in front of a crowd. I realized that when I am singing praise, its praise to God, not to my fellow man. So If they dont like me, thats OK. My praise is to God and He likes me praising Him. When I realized this, my butterflies left. I no longer get nervous because its my present to Him and He loves me. There is nothing therefor to be nervous about.

I think maybe I need to understand that my labour and toil is also in His honour. He demands that I try my best and always be true and honest. If I do that, then why am I worried about anything else? If I am working in such a way that is God honouring, then why does it matter what people think? You aptly mentioned that I may be placed in such a place for His purpose. As I look back, I realize that I never really know where my next sale is coming from. If I have faith and try my best, then it just happens. It is a gift from God. I have been in Sales now for 9 years. Why do I have to continually remind myself that He always has provided. Perhaps I need to be more fervent in prayer and constantly remind myself that He has never let me down.

But its so hard.

1 comment:

  1. Here's what I've been able to come to understand...

    You said you should have no worries because, "If I do X, then God will bless me." But deep down you know the weaknesses, frailties and sins that are in all of us and that what you are able to keep hidden from people is not hidden from God. You fear that at any moment, around any corner could be payback time. You fear that if you don't measure up, am not measuring up now, God may not be there to put the next meal on the table. You worry.

    But here's the really amazing part. God determined you would have the blessings you enjoy now even while you were a pot smoking, keg carrying, party animal. Not because you've changed your ways and earned it, and not because he knew you would. Also not in the "predestination: God already determined I'd pull into a Timmies this morning and order a large double-double" kinda way, but in the sense that God promised Abraham for his faithfulness he would bless his offspring. Your prosperity and blessings are the result of a promise God made to Abraham, O son of Jacob.

    That means you can't lose! Couldn't lose from the start, even while you were at your worst! It has nothing to do with what you will or won't do, did or didn't do, have come to accept or haven't yet accepted and that is pure and simple, awe inspiring Grace from a God who keeps his promises!

    This changes things. If God has promised to bless the work of your hand to keep a promise he made to Abraham, if you can't lose, then you're left asking yourself different questions. Like, "why if I can't lose have I not taken more risks? Why am I not putting my hand to more things? And, perhaps I should accept more challenges in the future? After all, I'll take with me in death exactly what I brought with me at birth!" The stuff in the middle is the Grace of God and Jesus Christ bought for us an eternity to consider it.

    When you know that, worrying seems silly, embarassing even. The deal goes south, you miss your year and yet you don't even yet know the names and faces of the grandchildren that God will bless you with.

    RR

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead....Make my day!