Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Sunday, March 15, 2009

A Trip to the Whetung Gallery Curve Lake

My mom and I planned a little road trip out to Curve Lake reserve near Peterborough. I really wanted to go to the Gallery as there is also an Ojibway museum there. There is a gift shop and an excellent collection of art and craft. I have been strangely obbsessed with learning about the Ojibway and the internet just wasnt cutting it. Here is where we went: http://www.whetung.com/



We browsed for about 2 hours or so. I was mesmerized. Mom was patient and enjoyed a nice hot chocolate in front of the fire while I talked with artists and emersed my senses in native art.

© copyright Leland Bell
There is a nice collection of Leland Bell paintings. There is a very pastoral feeling in his paintings. I find them peaceful and thoughtful. Almost like stain glass. I really like this artist.

© copyright Leland Bell
We met this artist Freddy Taylor. I had a nice conversation with him. He suffered 10 years in the genocidal "Residential Schools" and then again as he couldnt adjust to his return. My senses are filled with shame for what our government did. Freddy was taken/tricked/kidnapped from his family and culture. He was kept from his family for ten years...long enough for him to lose touch with his culture and identity. He paints now to overcome his pain and anger.

This piece is painful for me to look at, but it represents Freddy's healing. One can see the tears flowing from the "mush hole" school. It flows down onto his hand. One can see the bars and chains that have weighed this man down for years. One of his paintings shoes a big X through the word apology. The government of Canada just finally gave an empty apology. I say empty because the damage that was done to our native brothers and sisters was severe nad catostrophic . It will continue to reverberate until these native people can be reconnected with their culture and heritage.
"the rage within" © copyright Freddy Taylor
-
Freddy told me he was hoping to write a book. I encourage Freddy to do so. I asked my daughter what she was being taught in school. I was pleased to hear that the "residential school" issue is now seen for what it was. I sure would like for my children to know the full costs of their freedom here in Canada. I want them to be under no illusions. Our ancestors swindeled and bullyed their way to control of this land. While the Native people had a vision for a grand cooperative of great nations, my ancesestors had designed on Colonialism and control. I reject their intentions and I reclaim the the intentions of the Ojibway people. TOGETHER we build a great nation and that means RESPECT.

1 comment:

  1. I visited the Whetung Gallery several months ago ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/jack_1962/sets/72157628471174703/ ) and even though I did not meet Freddy Taylor, I saw his paintings and read about his life. It's so sad what he and many Native people had to go through.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead....Make my day!