Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Sunday, May 03, 2009

Learning About Medicine Wheel



I am beginning to learn about Medicine Wheel.
-
The pictoral representation of Medicine Wheel can be seen above.
-
Many of you have probably seen pins, or posters or literature bearing this symbol. A young fellow that I jam with was wearing one on a button on his jacket. I asked him what it meant and he told me "Unity" of peoples. Certainly it means that but it means much more.
-
I think that I need to study the medicine wheel to better understand Anishinaabe culture and ways. I also need to study medicine wheel to better understand myself and the love that God has for his many people. I think that this symbol is as important to Anishinaabe as the cross is the christians. The meaning within the symbol is a holy concept that has been passed down through thousands of generations. I see its foundation in the Gitchi Manido creation of the world. To put it bluntly, God, Gitchi Manido gave it to them and it carries with it great spiritual truth.
-
Here is a small breakdown of some of the medicine wheel elements. As you look at the elements there is an emerging pattern. In case you cant see the picture clearly, below is a list. I will use this list to help me study the medicine wheel.
-


North

White, Elders, Bear, Cedar, Winter, Wind

South

Black, Youth, Wolf, Sweetgrass, Summer, Earth

East

Yellow, Children, Eagle, Tobacco, Spring, Fire

West

Red, Parents, Buffalo, Sage, Fall, Water

Lord God, Gitchi Manido, you are above all. You breathed your life into us, your people, and poured out to us so much knowledge. Lord God, Gitchi Manido, I pray that you might make this knowledge real and understandable to me, that I might share what I learn with others and use it to better myself. Lord God, Gitchi Manido, open your great mystery to me, share with me Your intentions, that I might continue to honor and praise You in truth. Speak to my heart, loving creator, that I may be a vessal of your loving creativity. Teach me oh God and help me to understand. Walk with me Oh Lord and keep me pure of heart. Gitchi Manido, would you teach me the way of Anishinaabe, that we may live in perfect unity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead....Make my day!