Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Saturday, April 30, 2011

Water Meter at Glen Afton 35km upstream

Its no secret that we have needed a good rain and thaw to replenish our lakes and rivers. Last season saw record low water levels. Things were looking equally as bleak until around April 25. As we see by the above graph, water discharge increased significantly. There is a water metering station about 35 km upstream from us measuring the Sturgeon River. The info is available online. My buddy sent me the graph and told me to get prepared. I was in Toronto at the time and my wife was giving me play by play.

Logs and roots floating downstream

Logs and all sorts of debris started floating down the river at significant speed.  This high flow is continuing even today as I look out my window. I can see foam no doubt eminating from Sany Falls. Sandy Falls acts as a bit of a gorge, holding back significant flow and releasing in mighty rapids

Highest water in years

My wife swore she could hear the falls from our house. My buddy Mike was quick to point out that we are likely hearing the rapids from the dam in town. Water is gushing through that dam at enourmous velocity. My friend Pete says the water hasnt been this high for years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead....Make my day!