Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Thursday, March 22, 2012

Beaver - A Way Of Life

I went for a visit to see Elder Alex. Alex is from the n'Dakimenan Beaver Clan. Alex and his family have relied on the beaver for generations


This is a teenager beaver. There is typically a mother and father, 2 teens and 2 young ones in each lodge. Alex practices the same management techniques as his father and grand father did to assure sustainability. 


When Alex was young, Beaver pelts would be sold to the fur traders for goods like salt, flour etc. The meat would be eaten by the family and by the sled dogs. Nothing went to waste.


Beaver pelts are only fetching about $10.00 now, so this is not really a viable commercial enterprise anymore, however, as a way of life, the beaver can still help provide for a family. 


Alex demonstrated the skinning technique.


Here is a beautiful beaver pelt, ready to be made into gloves, hats or boot insoles. Alex showed me how to prepare and work the hide. We made 2 pairs of boot insoles for everyone in my house. Our feet have been toasty warm this winter thanks to Mr. Beaver and to Alex.


We had a wonderful meal of beaver together. I was surprised at how good it was!
Alex told us the various ways his mother and grandmother would prepare the beaver.

I realize that these pics might be a little graphic for some. I want to assure you that I have posted these pics with great gratitude and honour for the beaver. It is important to note that every time you eat meat, an animal has to die. Some choose not to eat meat. Many continue to eat meat but have lost touch of where the meat came from. A grocery store can make a beautiful display and you forget the sacrifice made by the animal. We have lost touch. I think that anyone who eats meat, should at least once take part in the killing and preparation of the animal. If you find this to be too difficult, perhaps it is time to become vegetarian. 

I have read about modern commercial practices in the food industry and I am not very impressed. In fact, I am afraid for my health. I simply do not trust our food supply. This is one of the reasons why my wife and I are returning to a more traditional life style. I believe that our entire commercial food chain is tainted. I will grow, gather, collect, hunt and fish for my food supply. I want to know where it came from and give gratitude accordingly.

"Moose Medicine" Copyright don wright 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead....Make my day!