Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Monday, April 23, 2012

Earth Day at Obabika 2012

It snowed all day Friday and left us with about 25cm of fresh, white snow.
We elected to leave on Saturday AM instead for safety. 
We drove as far as we felt comfortable and then changed over to the ATV 
Alex showed me his collections of artifacts found on Lake Obabika over the years 
Sue and I went for a hike to the point where the original Missabie homestead was 
We stopped to hug many pines and cedars
This beauty white pine towered above Sue 
This is a pine cone. I posted it in honor of Alex as this is his Indian name.
"Jusquado - pine cone"
Sue can really hug a tree 
despite the cold, the Missabie homestead was sheltered and we basked in the glory of the sun. I even went for a swim, though I guess I should call it a wade...the water is still COLD 
Here is the grave site of Alex's mom 
Here is the grave site of Alex's dad 
Here is the cross marking the spot 
Here are the graves together. We paused here in honor and respect. 
There is lots of moss in the older growth.

We had a magnificent weekend. Alex fed us the best beaver and we talked and went through family photos. The following morning Sue and I went for a hike out to the point where the original Missabie homestead was. We were unable to find he alternate trail out, so we back tracked and did it again, this time from the other direction. We were succesful in finding the trail loop. We hugged a lot of trees. We sat at the point, basking in the sun. We tried to imagine how it would be to live at such a spot. I fell asleep on the beach with my head on a log, while Sue beach-combed. We stayed there for a couple of hours and then headed back.....rejuvinated in our souls and most happy to celebrate Earth Day in this way. 

1 comment:

Go ahead....Make my day!