Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Sunday, February 12, 2006

Biblical Interpretation

I am taking this really cool class on Biblical Interprepation at Canadian Theological Seminary. My professor is Dr. Mark Boda. We have just finished our first segment of the class and now I have a month of independant studies. I must say, I prefer the in class portion over the independant studies.

I have a new appreciation for the Holy Bible and how to read and interpret. It can be a very challenging process.....if done right.

One thing that stuck out from the class was this small subtle example.

God called it upon Lukes heart to write a Gospel to the Gentiles. As such, Lukes writings were focused on a Gentile audience. He quotes Jesus who was talking to and focusing on a Jewish audience. Now here we are reading this material and trying to apply it to our own lives.

When we read the account of the Good Samaritan for example, we want to apply Jesus' very words that were intended for His Jewish audience to ourselves today. In the meantime, the actual author of Luke might be trying to tell us something slightly different.

When I recall my own reaction, it was one of scorn for the Jewish people who did not stop to help the person in need. I got this impression by reading the passage as it was written, forgetting who penned the passage and for what audience. When I stop and read the passage as written by Luke, for the gentiles, I see something slightly different. While Jesus words remain true, I now have a different perspective. Through the eyes of Luke, I now see a building up or a praise for the gentile who stopped to help the person in need. My feeling has turned from scorn of the people who did not react correctly to the situation, to praise for the Samaritan who did.

Dr Boda told us it was kinda like a theatre. While the play was going on, Luke was sitting on the first level balcony observing and reporting to us. We are on the top balcony and we can see Luke OK but seeing the stage is a little harder. So we in a sense are understanding the play, as relayed to us by someone that has a better view of the play itself.

The Good Samaritan story is a very subtle example of this interpretation challenge. Jesus words are true. Lukes words are true. Both accounts must be taken into consideration when attempting to apply this truth to our lives.

When I have the opportunity and responsibilty of teaching on a passage like this, it is very important that I consider this fact, otherwise I am only scratching the surface. Whats worse, I could be misleading my people, or attempting to apply a biblical truth in an incorrect way.
I need to remember that now my audience will walk away considering what I have said about something Luke said about something Jesus said.

Lord, thank You for your revelation of truth. Thank You that you inspired people then and continue to inspire people today. Lord help me to guard against misunderstanding or mis interpretation of Your Word. Lord I pray that I will be able to conform to Your Word, rather than Your Word conforming to my desire to make a point about something. Help me Lord to be a faithful steward of Your life giving Word. In Jesus name I pray
amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead....Make my day!