Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Saturday, December 23, 2006

Christmas Memory Lane


I was looking back at my blog, wondering what I was doing a year ago. Its fun to do that sometimes. I came across this post about our christmas tree and and related christmas festivities and of course about our saviour Jesus Christ.
Well we still have the tree. It spent the summer in the garden. Sue replanted it in a bigger pot. I think its grown. Its inside now with us for christmas. The red bows are back on and I think today it will shelter a few gifts.
We are hosting Christmas eve this year at our house. The table has been enlarged and we have been frantically cleaning. We will be having fondue.
I set my "out of office assistant" for my email at the office. I said " I am gone for 4 days to celebrate the birth of my savior Jesus Christ" I thought for a moment that it might offend someone and then I thought..tough turd, its the truth. I got a reply from a client who had been difficult and she said "I REALLY like your out of office alert! HMMM..we must talk when I return.
I grabbed my office guitar and went down to the production room. There are about 20 ladies and 6 men of oriental/mid east/indian origin. I sang a bunch of christmas songs for them. They clapped and sang along. I noticed many knew the words to Silent Night. Even the Muslims seemed joyful about the birth of my Saviour. Though we dont agree with each other, my heart was real warm because of their respect for my Lord Jesus.
Any way enough already. Here is the post from last year....
I remember when the children were small,
we would seek out Christmas Trees,
that were big, bold and tall!
We'd go to the bush with a saw and axe,
or over to Wintersingers
and pick one from the racks.
But I found as the children got older,
that need for big, tall and bolder,
seemed to get colder and colder.
My conscience about the carnage of a tree,
began to eat at me.
The thought of killing that tree
for the sake of my glee
made me see
things differently.
So for a period of time, when selecting our tree,
we'd take great pride in taking the ugliest we could find
thinking that if we didnt take it,
it would get left behind.
Well this year, we left it so long.
There it was Christmas eve afternoon
and we'd yet to find a tree for our room.
We began to worry,
where would we put the presents
I felt sorry
making my family feel like peasants
so dylan and myself, in the car we drove
to find us a tree that we could love.
We wanted a tree that would last just a little longer,
one that might speak of christmas just a little bit stronger
A tree that we could use over and over
a tree we could use again and again
a tree that we could have for this Christmas and more
a real live tree bought at a grocery store.
a tree marked down, and sitting alone
On the last day of the season
destined for teasing
as the one that wouldnt sell.
the one that didnt fair so well,
until two memory seeking gents
picked it out and for a few dollars and cents
gave it a home that will love and adore,
that will tend it season after season,
and cherish it more and more.
Well we had an awesome christmas,
tree and all
presents and love
rum and egg nog
steak and salad
shrimp and octypus
Irish cream and chocolate,
christmas cookies and plum cake
hottub and christmas music
We went to church this Chrristmas eve
and celebrated with friends who believe
that Jesus came as prince of peace
to free us os sins we could not release
to provide a way to the Lord above
full of grace and peace and love
a bridge that one can walk,
a way in which we could talk
to the living God
a way in which we could be reconcilled
with a God and appear undefiled
though our sins are great
He came to us and guaranteed our fate
that He would love us and make us whole
by filling the void,
deep in our soul
filling the gap that seems so wide
one in whom we can confide
and in who's love we can abide
to one we can dance and praise
for making us whole
the ancient of days in whom we trust
one to save us from our lust
and greed and mistrust
one who loves us just as we are
and
one who gave us the guiding star
and the book of life.
One to save us from envy and strife
Come Lord Jesus
be our guest
in you
we are happy and blessed
Come Lord Jesus come
fill our hearts with your happiness

Father God, I thank You and praise You. May You be honored and glorified in my house this Christmas, the remainder of this year, next year and years to come. Lord God would You continue to walk with me and my family and friends and brothers and sisters. Would You walk with my enemies Lord and with those who do not yet know You. Would You keep Hanni safe in Your hands. Would You be with Don, and Ron and Jan and the other Ron. Lord would You be with my pastor brother Richard and family and most of all with his mom and dad. Would You be with Henry today Lord. Lord would You be with the troubled and down trodden, with those people we neglect and forget. Lord would You bless my brothers and sisters at Crossings Community Church and would You bless the service we will have in Your name, Your honor and Your glory. Come o come Emmanuel.


2 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas Don :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas, Don.

    Hope you a had a great one.

    Cheers to a New Year :-)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead....Make my day!