Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Nanabozo



"Nanabozo (Nanabozho or Nanabush) is a mythological culture hero found in the cosmological traditions of the Algonquian tribes of central and eastern Canada. Nanabozo is the impersonation of life, with the power to create life in others. His gender is undefined and changeable. She also appears as diverse personalities and forms - including a raven, a coyote, a hare - which represent the various phases and conditions of the life cycle. In some myths Nanabozo creates animals and causes plants and roots to grow so men can eat. He also features in many comic, bawdy tales that emphasize his immense earthly appetites for food and sex. She plays a dual role in mythology, both as benefactor to the native people and as a prankish and obscene fool. He is both a powerful creator, and a ridiculous clown."

The above picture is taken from Petroglyths near Peterbourough. I have never been to see this, although I know where it is. I always thought...hhhhmmm...someday. Well I think I'll be paying Nanaozo pictograph a visit this summer. The pictograph is about 20 minutes from my moms place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead....Make my day!