Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Friday, March 20, 2009

Winibozho/Nanabozho/Nanabush/Manabozho


I know I said I was done with Nanabozho, but I was wrong. While surfing around reading about the flood epic, I came across this interesting read. Here are a few highlights from....
When Everybody Called Me

Gah-bay-bi-nayss:"Forever-Flying-Bird"

An Ethnographic Biography of

Paul Peter Buffalo



"After I got past ten years old I began feeling around and wondering how the earth and people were created.

That made me do a lot of thinking that maybe would help me in the time that was coming in my days. Before that I heard a lot of stories, a lot of talk, about the history of the Indian of this country, but I didn't meditate too much on that then. One time, later on, I finally asked one old person,

"Who is our creator?

Who is the god of the Indian in this country, the people of this country, the Anishinabe?

Who is the Indian spirit?

Who is our god?

Who is our creator?"

"Winibozho!"

Winibozho's our god."

"Why is he our God, the God of the Indians?"

Gitchie Manito, the Great God, is the one that selected Winibozho, the great man, to give the medicines to the people. He told Winibozho, "You show the people what it's for." Winibozho is the Indian medicine god, the Grand Medicine God. He's the leader. He tells stories of the history, stories of the history of medicine and everything. In the stories he tells us what to use. That's why he's our creator. He can show us the medicine. He can talk to us. He can show us the Indian way of life. He can show us what to use.

Winibozho lived a long time. He talked to the trees. He talked to anything. Winibozho could talk Sioux; he could talk anything."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead....Make my day!