Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Sunday, April 05, 2009

Blind Faith?

Honey, do you want to go to bible study?
No!
Why not? dont you want to know Gods Word?
I dont need to know.
I beleive and have faith in Him.
But, Dont you want to know if you are doing something wrong?
No, Thats why I married you.
How can you put your faith in me?
I dont, I put my faith in God, that you would lead me. Thats just the way it is.
Since when is it my responsibility?
Read your bible.

While I wrestle with scripture, she just accepts it.
Accepts what?
She says God made her, directs her path, she loves Him, she accepts Christ. She wants to serve Him by serving others, and she delights in His return. She has confessed her faith before others, been baptised by submersion. She prays and trusts...what the heck else do I want from her?

She doesnt care or want to know about all the nuance of scripture. It causes a certain unknown uneasiness. Its easy to simply accept a traditional point of view and chalk it up to peace, love and obedience. In many ways it can be liberating because one can then go about their way with a certian freedom that comes with "definition" and rules.

I cant really argue with her. She doesnt want a complicated faith. She wants to know what the rules are so she can live properly. When Jesus said "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and love your neighbour as yourself", she said thanks and proceeded to live a Godly life. Whats with that? How does she know? She just seems to know. How can it be that easy?

I lived a great deal of my life beleiving this way. Having faith in the structures and the interpretations and the creeds and the values of the evangelical christian faith and church. I trusted that those before me were learned and inciteful and inspired. Accepting this unity, again is liberating and allows one to follow a united mission.

Yet in the back of my mind, in ever growing dimensions, is a nagging thought that the pieces are not fitting. I begin to question my definition of "church" and my definition of "faith".

Through this I have a very big resonsibility. I have a wife who relies on my leadership. Am I to take her to unknown grounds? Am I to shake her foundations? In our relationship and in our home, it is my responsibility to lead her in these matters. It would be better for me to tie a millstone around my neck and jump into Guelph Lake than to lead her a stray. So which path leads us astray and which path leads us closer? Do I travel a path and come back and get her, or do I simply take the path that many have taken before me.

Stay tuned fpr part 34685473762610 of the story....

6 comments:

  1. Don't be so hung up on words. Words,tranlations,books,dogma,rules,hell,...cant we just live by following the 10 commandments? Can't we live by the golden rule? Wouldn't it be heaven on earth??? Love God,Love your wife,Love Jesus,Love yourself and trust yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read Carefully. Can you or do you follow these rules? Be honest. What happens when you are unable to follow these "simple" rules?


    ONE: 'You shall have no other gods before Me.'

    TWO: 'You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.'

    THREE: 'You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.'

    FOUR: 'Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.'

    FIVE: 'Honor your father and your mother.'

    SIX: 'You shall not murder.'

    SEVEN: 'You shall not commit adultery.'

    EIGHT: 'You shall not steal.'

    NINE: 'You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.'

    TEN: 'You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.'

    dw

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a problem with #2....does that include art???

    ReplyDelete
  4. does it include a cross that one wears around their neck, or the cross that adorns our churches?
    dw

    ReplyDelete
  5. As promised...

    The one I wonder about the most is #4.

    Here's what the bible says about the sabbath...

    Exod 31:13 “Speak also to the children of Israel, saying: ‘Surely My Sabbaths you shall keep, for it is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am the Lord who sanctifies you.

    Ezek 20:12 Moreover I also gave them My Sabbaths, to be a sign between them and Me, that they might know that I am the Lord who sanctifies them.

    Ezek 20:20 hallow My Sabbaths, and they will be a sign between Me and you, that you may know that I am the Lord your God.’

    But here's what the "church fathers" said at the Council of Laodicea said in 323 A.D.

    Canon 29 - Christians must not judaize by resting on the Sabbath, but must work on that day, rather honouring the Lord's Day; and, if they can, resting then as Christians. But if any shall be found to be judaizers, let them be anathema from Christ.

    And here's what the Catholic Encyclopedia says about the sabbath...

    SabbathThe seventh day of the week among the Hebrews, the day being counted from sunset to sunset, that is, from Friday evening to Saturday evening.

    And again about The Lord's Day....

    The Church, on the other hand, after changing the day of rest from the Jewish Sabbath, or seventh day of the week, to the first, made the Third Commandment refer to Sunday as the day to be kept holy as the Lord's Day.

    (pretty sure they meant Fourth Commandment)

    But what are we supposed to do? Become outcasts from our neighbours? From our families? No.

    I believe that to simply know, is enough for now.

    RR

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always wondered why, if God made Saturday the Sabbath, why we changed it to Sunday. I just lived with it because of my beleif in a Sabbath Day of rest. When Sunday shopping bacame an issue, Christians were all up in arms that Sunday would not be honoured as the Sabbath. Thats funny. Well not funny, more like ignorant.

    Jesus said the Sabbath was for man, not man for the Sabbath. I beleive like you that to know the truth and carry it in your heart is enough.

    When we planted the church in Acton I tried for a service other than Sunday. I proposed Saturday and when that didnt fly I suggested a day through the week. That did not fly because it was said that Sunday is the traditional day of worship. Well actually Saturday is according to the Word.

    So there is another broken commandment. What are we to do when we cant even follow these simple rules?....or are they so simple?

    dw

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead....Make my day!