Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Friday, April 24, 2009

Putting the Pieces Together


Here is a picture I took (with permission) of religious ceremony items. While I was mesmerized as the Elder explained the significance of these objects, I completely forgot the significance or stories behind each item. I am only now really starting to put the pieces together.

Here are some things I remember. It was explained that the Anishinabek did not actually have a flag, but that the 7 colours on the left like their flag. Each color has significance which were explained to us. Now that I have studyed a bit, I think that the flags on the left are the "seven grandfathers" Each colour representing each virtue. He also told us that these flags were Like our 10 commandments. I also learned that these flags will be placed at certain sacred or spiritually significant locations or sites. Once I learned that, I have kept my eyes peeled and seen much evidence of past cermonies in other spots. This is important for me to be aware of so that I may respect that which was before me.

He told us that the rock was his grandfather. I didnt quite understand that then. I think I do now. Grandfather is a much bigger, deeper word than just my dads dad or my moms dad. Grandfather I beleive is the collective wisdom and love of the forfathers or ancestors. When one honours the grandfather rock, one in a sense honors ones history and wisdom and past culture and past unity. It is a very important symbol of respect for ancestoral past.

Of course we see tobacco in the picture. He told us that we needed to leave a pinch of tobacco at spiritually or personally significant locations. For example, he said as we hike through the wilderness, there are places that give us peace, or joy, or have historical cultural significance. For example he told us that when we behold the beauty of creation, we must honour the creator. A gift of tobacco is a cultural gift of thanksgiving. It is very important for us to always be thankful and gracious. Leaving a pinch of tobacco on a rock or log, or giving a pinch of tobacco to a friend or acquaintance signifies ones own thankfulness. As I read old legends of Nanabush, I noticed that whenever people pass by particular locations, they leave a pinch for Nanabush. At first I was afraid of following anothers tradition for fear of my own relationship with the God that I know from childhood. Yet as I came to realize that this is the same God, I suddenly felt a whole lot better. I do have a ceremonial tobacco pouch now and I intend to use it in the manner in which it was explained and perscribed. I am fully confident that God will accept my gift, not because it is tobacco, or because I am following a ritual or custom, but because it is a gift from my heart in an expression of thanksgiving. My God does not demand of me gifts like this. He demands my heart. He does not demand of me tributes like this, but I do believe He is pleased with a thankful and joyous heart who understands His magnificance and glory.

If you can help me understand or know more about these things, I invite and request your help. Also, If you know the siginifance of some of the other items in the picture I would love to hear.

dw

Lord God, help me to maintain a clean heart and a clean love for You. Lord God help me not fall into the trappings of ritual, yet allow me to use my and my brothers culture and tradition to honor You. Help me to understand clearly Your Word to me and help me Lord God live that life. All honour and praise and glory are Yours alone magnificent creator. With much love and respect I say Meegwetch Gitchi Manito for You are above all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead....Make my day!