Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Shore Lunch


Shore Lunch…..a beer and a sandwich and a breathtaking view! And yes, we brought our garbage out with us as well as some other people trash.

My buddy and I were talking about the fact that we are bandits according to the canoe purists. They say we have no business out there riding our ATV’s on the logging roads. If they had their way, we would be strung up and hog tied.
My buddy and I leave no garbage, in fact, because we are on wheels, we pick up garbage. We like to admire the remote beauty of our land. We go for overnighters and day trips to see spectacular scenery. We try to "go where no man has gone before". We are not alone either. We have met many other ATV naturalists. We are armed only with our cameras, lunch bags, and sometimes fishing rods.
My buddy is really upset with the “treehuggers”. I told him I was a treeehugger. He said that because I use an ATV, I am shunned and despised by this group of people. I would like to say for the record, that while I agree with the purist agenda to save the forest, I believe it is best done in mass numbers. I would like to have the responsible ATV’ers added to the list of concerned people. I have met many of them.
The more people that show this forest value the better. The greed in our society only looks at value as it relates to money or political power. The more people that use, enjoy and want to protect the better. I may be an ATV bandit, but I would drive my bike to anywhere, anytime to help save this resource.
My buddy and I laughed as we heard about the canoe naturalist who got dropped off by airplane to Obabika, only to slam people like me. This fellow used more gas for one trip than I did the entire year. His carbon footprint was disgusting. It probably took a week of intense solitude canoeing to overcome the shame of all the pollution he created just to get there.
I read about many of these people who have jobs in " the big city". They carry on their lives in this hotbed of greed and waste, and then march to the great North to find peace and solitude. Its easy to be a weekend naturalist I suppose when your SUV is waiting in the parking lot.
In the meantime, buddy and I are going to join and outdoor preservation group and the local ATV chapter, so that we can be more visible and so that our voices can be heard and not just drowned out by special interest groups. I love them, dont get me wrong...they are necessary. Its just that I think this fight is better faught from all fronts to preserve a heritage that can be enjoyed by all Canadians.
Oh Oh...check this picture out. This little spot is possibly the cooolest tubing spot I have seen. One could jump in at the top and ride it for 60 feet to a great four foot waterfall. There is too much water there right now..it would be dangerous. However late August and this little spot is going to be the site of the first annual Temagami Tube Terror. Well...we'll see if we make it to year two.
Also, I am told by a few locals, that dropping a leech in the pool below the falls will net fish. I know what I said about live bait before but who could feel sorry for a leech? Teehee, I'm too much of a wimp to even put a leech on my hook.

6 comments:

  1. I'm a tree hugger and a canoe purist. However, I welcome "eco-ATVers" to the cause. Haven't met any yet. We'll have to meet so that I can say I have.

    Where are those falls?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got that response from a tree hugger canoe purist. You are a self proclaimed tree hugger! Lets be a little less judgmental please! Using those old words of war...They vs. us...lets just all get along. We all want the same things...you just do better on your ATV...no chance of drowning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, thats a good point. us vs them is not a good place to start.

    I was upset because of what I read against me on a certain canoe forum.

    My presence in this spot is worthy of a $53.00 fine. In the meantime we removed a pop can, a beer bottle and some paper.

    It is wrong for me to talk peace and universal brotherhood and then use the us VS them "tired" model. However, resolution needs to start somewhere, and often times begins with harsh words and venting ones frustration.

    Thanks for reminding me.

    We must thank and cooperate with the canoe purists. We need to thank and cooperate with the treehuggers, the environmentalists, the Natives and all those people interested in protecting our environment.

    Hypocracy abounds and it astounds me how I too am part of the problem and a part of the solution.

    don

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob, its your perception you have yet to meet any. In fact, in the world of ATVing (and life in general) the actions of a very small percentage reflect on the whole, usually in a rather dim light. Im sure you have "seen" many but didnt realize it. the purist agenda seldom leaves ones mind open

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey good point and bad point. Yes the actions of a few really scar and blemish the majority. We as Eco conscious ATVers must do a better job to overcome this.

    I half agree with the statement "the purist agenda seldom leaves ones mind open" I do the same thing and so do you. We see the world through our own eyes and experience. I would propose that we change the quote a bit to "our personal agendas seldom leave ones mind open"

    I am in favour of the purist. I like them. I know many.

    I will first meet with Bob and then he will at least know one ATVer who loves the environment. I will then make sure that I remain eco freindly so that I am not "one" of the bad guys. I will demonstrate, like many others, my commitment to ethics.

    Stay tuned and I will provide more information on eco friendly ATVing.

    I learned from that life is a play of conflict and resolution. This conflict is the opening door to resolution. People from all sides of the fence will make their feeings and ideas known until a resolution. I have also come to learn that the answer is usually somewhere in between.

    Thank you to Bob and to both anonymous comments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead....Make my day!