Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Visit to Obabika

We went for a visit to see Alex Mathias up on Lake Obabika. He is an Ojibway elder from the Temagami tribe and he still lives at his family homestead up at the Old Growth Forest at the top of Obabika. Alex is a legend to many including myself. I know it sounds crazy, but it was a dream come true for me to spend some time with him. I respect this man and his position on saving the Old Growth. To be welcomed at his home is truly a great honor for me. He is such a neat person. We were sitting around and he said “ OK…who has a camera…its photo time” We took a ton of pictures. He was such a good sport. He even let me wear the “feathers” You have no idea what that meant to me. Now this may seem weird to some of you but then he said to me “Would you like a trout?...I can give you one” I realize that this is a gift and the last thing I want to do is offend someone. You see Trout is a food staple and in many circles, the trout is considered sacred. A gift of a trout is a real gift indeed. It means more than just a dead fish. It is a friendship offering. Well I was a fool and didn’t take the trout as I don’t like the taste of fish. So I was a deadbeat and refused the gift. I hope I didn’t offend him. He didn’t seam offended, but next time I visit I will apologize anyway.

1 comment:

  1. hope you gave him a friendship turtle.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead....Make my day!