Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Monday, June 29, 2009

Pursuing a Dream

So here it is.

I have always had a dream of living off the land. I have always had a dream of going to the bush and starting from scratch. I always envisioned landing at my destination in spring, and working my butt off to prepare for winter. While life for me seems to be getting easier and easier, I fear that I will pay for it in the end. I want to learn how to do much with little. I want to learn how to conserve and have a small footprint. I want to get back to the basic. I know….you are saying looks like Don’s mid life crisis.

Well the time is ticking and I feel I have a window of opportunity to pursue this dream. My kids head to school in September and my wife and I will be alone in the house. My job seems to be petering out with this poor economy and chances are I wont even be employed in few months. So…Come September, I am putting the house up for sale. We will sell out and move to Near North Ontario. While our eventual destination is North Bay, we are going to rough it in a log cabin in Temagami for at least a year.

I promised my wife only one year. My secret hope is that we adapt and enjoy this lifestyle so much that we stay much longer. I figure I have a few years window to try before grandparenthood sets in. No doubt, I must be cognoscente of my wife’s dreams and desires and I will honor her. I do however feel that I too have dreams and aspirations that need to be fulfilled.

Parenthood and growing up raising a family has been a tough thing. Certainly a lot harder and more demanding than I ever thought. I put a number of dreams on the back burner in the interest of raising a family and being a good dad. But somewhere, sometime, comes a time where I, me, Don, get to choose and get to explore a dream. Well the time is coming really soon.

I have been preparing my wife and my family for 3 years now. My good wife has what it takes. She is strong and a hard worker. She is interested in things like food and wood gathering. She is interested in home based skills like sewing and canning and preserving. We would make a good team. She too has told me about dreaming about being a pioneer. Well soon she will get that opportunity.

My hope is that the house goes for sale September, House closes January and we do a temp move to my buddies in Verner, until we can safely get into our remote destination. Beginning in the spring, we prepare and finish winterizing our cabin, collect wood and prepare food for the long winter.

Although we have money set aside, I would rather live like a miser and learn how to do with nothing. We will focus on self sustaining and living off the land. Over the last couple years I have come to know some key people who will help us and share their knowledge and opportunities. I have been learning where and when for various hunting and gathering ventures. I have been learning some survival skills and testing my skills with some practical adventures.

I want to document and share my experience through my blogspot. I have been posting little snipits as I have been working through my passions and desires. This will culminate in two loving people, learning and sharing a new way of life. Through ups and downs, trials and fortunes, We will share our experience. We will share our journey so that others can learn and find inspiration from us.

Of course, things are always rosy when you are trying to convince yourself. There will be realities to face. The lifestyle may prove to be too difficult. I do know however, I am not getting any younger, and the dream will be more and more difficult as time passes.

Stay tuned as the adventure takes form.

Peace and Blessings
dw

2 comments:

  1. Does it have to be Northern Ontario????...why not all go to BC where the weather is agreeable to your dream. Hippy communal land on the West Coast is my dream for the rainbow clan that seems to be gathering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe we will meet you there. BC is beautiful and perhaps a better choice. Perhaps Northern Ontario is just the proving grounds....the proof of a concept. Hey if I can do it in Northern Ontario, I could do it almost anywhere!
    don

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead....Make my day!