Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Solar Ovens




































I was talking to my mom about moving off the grid up in Western Temagami. She told me of a friend of hers who is off grid.(no hydro) Mom went for a tea on a January day and the lady said...oh I baked a cake. She went outside and came back in with a piping hot cake! My mom asked about this oddity and the lady replied "Solar Oven". Evidently they do most of their cooking in this solar oven. I am VERY intrigued.
I've been reading up on Solar Ovens and how to make them. It is really quite simple. There is an insulated box, a clear cover for the box and sun reflectors. You oput your item in the box, point the reflectors to thew sun and wait. I saw a pretty cool video where the guy put a chicken, potatoes and veggies in a pot, put the pot in the oven and 4-5 hours later VIOLA a meal!

This idea has so much potential! I am going to make me one of these and become skilled at using it. When someone expresses interest, I'll sell them mine and make another! Am I ever glad I learned about this. There are probably many more great ideas out there to help us reduce our footprint. I need to learn more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead....Make my day!