Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Monday, September 21, 2009

Bald Eagles on Lake Obabika

Mating Bald Eagles on Lake Obabika- Copyright © Natasha Mathias 2007
-
While I was treking Lake Obabika, I saw several Bald Eagles. I was reminded of this photo I saw last year over on Ottertooth.com.
Natasha won photo of the month for this picture.
It was taken right in front of her house.
Is this amazing or what!!!!
-
I grew up in southern Ontario during a low point in the life of fish eating hawks and eagles. The use of DDT really took its toll on these carnivores. DDT would build up in the system and cause the eggs to become soft. As a result, the population of Bald Eagles and Osprey reached near extinction levels.
.
A couple of years ago, I was out at Belwood Lake, close to my house, and I saw a Bald Eagle. I called the University of Guelph, and they confirmed that although rare, they had been making a come back. I also read how the Bald Eagle was prolific along the Grand River and out to Lake Erie. I am told that there are a growing number of Bald Eagles making their way back to Southern Ontario.
.
When I left Thunderbay a few weeks ago, I saw a beautiful Bald Eagle on the Nipigon River. Then, while camping at Obabika, I saw a few more. The pictures I got were no where near as spectacular as this photo. Mine look like little dots. This photo is magnificent!...and probably quite rare.
.
I now know some of the story behind the comeback of the Eagle. I am grateful that this is happening in my lifetime. I am also grateful to witness it with my own eyes. The Bald Eagle is so majestic!
Thankyou Natasha for sharing this photo!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Don, somehow we missed each other at the COTS. I saw you and your wife & daughter (you trimmed your goatee), but didn't catch up with you right afterward. Then I didn't see you again.

    Did you see the bald eagle on Sunday at Al's place? It was back.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead....Make my day!