Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Monday, September 14, 2009

Lake Obabika - Pictographs

I packed my hiking pack with a pile of goodies, grabbed my paddle, fishing rod and life jacket, strapped it to my ATV and headed north. An hours drive by logging roads later, I was at the home of Alex Mathias on Lake Obabika. My intent was to beg a ride across the lake to the ancient ceremony site at the foot of the old growth. Alex wasn't in, but his daughters were more than willing to oblige, having been forewarned by my friend Brandon.
While I was talking to the ladies, I asked about ancient pictographs on Lake Obabika. They offered to take me there so I could see, touch and take photos. We headed south east to the rock face.

Here is one pictograph. It appears to be an animal of some sort. I asked how old they were and they though a few thousand years old. I did I quick Internet search but haven't found any info on these. They are getting quite faint and faded.

Splashing a little bit of water on the rock, makes the image a little easier to see, although it then made for a bad picture. There were three lines in parallel, one set horizontal and one set vertical.
There were a few that we couldn't make out.

Heading north on the east side of the lake, we passed Grandmother and Grandfather rock. We continued up the coast and they dropped me off at the ancient ceremony site, where I planned to set up camp for a 24 hour sojourn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead....Make my day!