Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Thursday, June 10, 2010

Studying Spirit

I have been making an understanding shift with regards to my faith. I was born and raised in an evangelical christian home and have always viewed the world on the basis of this understanding....this world view. Over the last year my understanding has been shifting. While I studyed the native view of Gitchi Manido and the Great Spirit, I was overwhelmed with the thought that we in fact were worshing the same God in differant ways. I found that my past thought was predjudiced and led me in a direction of seperation. In the meantime, I beleive that the Spirit was leading me to unification. While I was studying the native religious view, I decided to forget everything I learned as a Chrsitian. I beleive I found the same God and it sent me for a loop. Since I truly beleive in God, in Christ and in the Holy Spirit, I decided to go back now to my Holy Bible and re-read.

I have begun to use this term Spirit now as my human experience of God. At first I was uncomfortable but once I came to realize that Spirit IS Gods Holy Spirit then I began to understand and feel more comfortable with my Spirit relationship. So I did a quick phrase search on bible gateway. Here is but a small sample of how Spirit is referred to in the Holy Bible. I chose passages from the book of John as John was "the one Jesus loved". There are hundreds of refrences to the word "spirit". I noticed some are capitalized and some are not. Use of the word Spirit is often in conjunction with "Holy" but not always. The bible drops the word Holy while still maintianing the importance of Spirit. These are just phrases and as such, might be a little out of context, so I gave references for the more studious amongst us.

John 1:32
Then John gave this testimony: "I saw the Spirit come down from heaven as a dove and remain on him.
(Jesus was filled with the Spirit from heaven)


John 3:5
Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. (Jesus views Spirit as an essential condition)

John 3:6
Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. (Clearly Spirit is Sacred and not fleshly. Therefor of God, not man)

John 3:34
For the one whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for God gives the Spirit without limit. (Spirit is from God and freely given)

John 4:24
God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth." (We must worship God in Spirit and Truth)

John 6:63
The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life. (the sacredness and importance of Spirit as a true life giving force)

John 7:39
By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive. Up to that time the Spirit had not been given, since Jesus had not yet been glorified. (Yeshua promised that Spirit would be sent once He had been glorified in death and resurrection. Spirit took over when Yeshua left. While Yeshua can be known, it is now through Spirit that we can be one. Spirit is the connection)

John 14:26
But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. (Spirit becomes teacher and guide)

John 16:15
All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will take from what is mine and make it known to you. (We can know God by Spirit)


So, when you see or hear me talk about "Spirit", please dont think I'm worshipping Spirits. That is not the case. Yeshua promised that he would send Spirit to be our guide and councellor. The very Spirit of God, which now manifests itself in those who beleive or understand or have accepted this sacred gift of relationship and oneness with the creator. It is through the wonderful gift of Spirit, that I can run the race with boldness and assurance. Yeshua promised. Through Spirit, I am one with God.

1 comment:

Go ahead....Make my day!