Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Honouring Our Ojibwa Elders - Spirit of Turtle Island

"Spirit of Turtle Island" Copyright Randy Thomas 2011


I dropped by my favourite Woodland Art Gallery while I was in Thunder Bay. My wife and daughter and I had just climbed Mount McKay and spent time honouring the Ojibwa elders. We met Randy Thomas, son of Roy Thomas. Randy and I chatted about our learning experiences. We were moved by this painting as it perfectly reflected our visit. We were very honoured to meet Randy. Here is a bio over at the Ahnisnabae Art site.

Randy Thomas is an Ojibwe/Cree. His roots stem from Sucker Cree First Nation, Alberta to Long Lac First Nation in Northern Ontario. Born in March of 1988 in St. Albert, Alberta. Randy was educated in Thunder Bay, Ontario. His artistic roots come from his father who was a renowned Woodland painter Roy Thomas.


Randy has always practiced his talent through the years with the encouragement from his mother and father. Randy states, “My dad made sure there was always art material available for me and my brother” Randy would watch his father paint, sometimes even painting alongside him. Randy cherishes the teachings and time spent with his father.


“For the past few years it’s been on my mind to get back into my art. I felt a need to be closer to my father and to honor him through my art” Randy now spends his time painting and drawing in the traditional styles; following in the Footsteps of his late father.

Cheers to Woodland Art and much blessings to Randy as he lets his light shine!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead....Make my day!