Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Monday, June 13, 2011

Wakimika River - Home of the Blackfly







This is the beautful Wakimika River. We travelled up the river, past the Wakimika pond and almost got to Lake Wakimika. We were blocked by fallen trees. My hope was to see the recently discovered Petroglyphs. We failed to complete, leaving us more determined. We will better equip ourselves and try again.

We saw the most amaizing thing...Blackflies. I've seen blackflies, but never experienced anything like this. There were literally billions of them. All along the river bank there were pools of them. Clumps of a thousand flys were flowing down the river, clump after clump for about a mile. Eddies and pools contained millions upon millions. I am NOT exagerating. If they all decided to suddenly eat us, we would in fact be dead. I bet if we gathered them all up, there would have been more than a wheelbarrow load of these flies. Lucky for us, they were dosile and otherwise occupied. On our passage up the river, we did stir them up a bit, and on the way back we noticed an increase in aggression. I have never in my life seen such a concentration of blackflies..It was truly incredible.....almost supernatural plague status.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead....Make my day!