Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Tuesday, December 20, 2011

In Honour and Respect of the Great Nishnaabe


Elder Alex left some ceremonial items with me for safe keeping. I jokingly said "I'll be taking pictures of myself the second you leave". Alex laughed and I wasnt kidding. A week has passed and I looked at that box every day. I debate and joke with myself. Finally today, I couldnt stand the temptation any more, so Niijii and I had a photo shoot. 



The Eagle Feather is sacred to the Nishnaabe. In practice, Alex will pass the Eagle Feather, giving the beholder the absolute right and authority to speak. When someone speaks, we all must listen and respect. In a court of law, the Great Nishnaabe will swear on the Eagle Feather. The Holy Bible represents my belief in truth, just as the Nishnaabe reveres the Eagle Feather. To speak untruth with the Eagle Feather would be unspeakable. It is illegal for me to have an eagle feather, unless it is associated with religious practice. I also believe it would have to be a gift. In my travels, I am always on the lookout for an eagle feather. Perhaps some day, in the fullness of time, I will acquire one.

2 comments:

  1. I got some nice feathers...i'm shaking them to some Christmas music right now!!!! haha...

    Brendarrrrgh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have spent a lifetime collecting feathers....hey Niijii just said nin minigos....what a bird! I even have budgie feathers in my collection. I have spent a lifetime searching for a natural eagle feather. Not from a farm or a zoo, not from an eagle feeding station, not from a dead eagle or one that has been caught. The Eagle feather I search for will be a natural gift from an eagle. It will fall to me from the skies or greet me on a walk through the old growth. Perhaps it will be a gift from someone else who had the fortune of finding one. Eagles once ruled our skies, but pollution and chemicals in the environment almost made them extinct around here. They are only now returning. So dance with your feathers and take joy this Christmas. Its is said that the son of the creator came and taught the way of peace and love. He then turned into an Eagle and flew back to heaven. Can you imagine Jesus as an eagle? I wonder if the wisemen will find a babe or an egg? Will it be a manger or a nest? and how about you....Have you prepared a place for the saviour or did the saviour prepare a place for you....dance with your feathers!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead....Make my day!