Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Monday, June 19, 2006

Fathers Day

Yesterday was fathers day. One week ago I received a phone call from my wifes mother. It went like this.....Hi, I'm just wondering if Suzie realizes she has a father? I said of course she knows that...why? Mom said, just wondering if she was planning on calling at all. I said sure, I imagine when fathers day comes, she will call. There was silence. Mom got mixed up about the dates. I guess she sat there and stewed until she made the embarrasing realization that she was one week ahead of schedule. When Sue called Dad yesterday AM, he answered the phone and started laughing. I guess he knew about the error as well.

So I got to thinking about my own expectations. I did not receive breakfast in bed. I did not receive any ties or chocolates. What I did receive was a message at church that made me think about fatherhood and the blessed gift that is mine. All the gifts in the world fail in comparison to the gift I already have. I have been so blessed to be a father. Every reward I could possibly imagine was given to me the very second my children were born. My wife bore the pain for my fatherhood. Memories such as the first time I looked into their eyes, the first time they said dadda, the first time they walked, all the milestones in their development have been fathers day gifts to me. The thought of comparing these blessings with a gift is frightening to me. To me, every day is fathers day. Every time I look at my children I am reminded of the joys and sacrifices. I remeber the first time I got puked on. I rememebr the first time I got shat on. I remember the first time my son got in trouble at school. I remember the sleepless nights and all the sacrifices. They are like investments for the love that I have for them.

Heres what I think. On fathers day, I need to stop and count my blessings. The fathers day gift was already given to me. I need to consider how I can be a better father. I need to figure out what more I can give, not what I can recieve. I am so blessed...blessed beyond description or imagination. How could I compare that to anything?

On Fathers day I chose instead to think of all those people who have been unable to have children. I think of those people who have had children and lost them to death. I think of the countless children who have been rejected by their daddies. I think of those poeple whos children have not lived up to their expectations. I think of the homeless people and the incapable daddies who were never taught or who forgot how much of a blessing children are. I think of my own father, whos life was claimed by cancer.

Without hesitation I thank the ultimate Daddy for the gift he has given me. ABBA, Lord God Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead....Make my day!