Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Pleasure

I talked about the pain...now heres the pleasure...here's the gain!

Several years ago I went to a retirement home to sing. There was an eldergy gent with a bad case of Alzheimers. His son and grandchildren sat with him. He knew he should know them but you could see they were like strangers. The grandchildren sat on his knee and they knew it was grampa but you could sense a sorrow because grampa was so distant. When I began to sing a particular song, he piped up and sang word for word. Big streams of tears flowed down his face when suddenly he knew who he was and who was on his lap. They all cried and hugged and they had a golden moment. For one moment, everything in the world was right again. I often take myself back to that time. You have no idea how much joy was brought into my own life for 1 hour of my time. I gave one hour and have reaped years of fond memory. I thought of that home a number of times and one day hoped to return.

One of my buddies from church asked if I would go and sing for his mom. We all went to church together and I love his mom. She is a dear lady. She had to go to a retirement home around the corner from me. You guessed it! The same home I sang in years ago. I was immediately excited as somehow I knew I'd return.

Well we got together tonight. They had all gathered in the tea room with a magnificent view. Bob and his Ma were there. She was happy to see me and seemed excited for social time. There were a number of other elderly ladies as well and some staff and I guess a daughter or two. We all sang together and I sang a few songs. We laughed and joked and told stories and asked questions and engaged each other. We had tea and some awesome squares. I'm such a pig. As soon as the squares hit the table, I said " LOOK..OVER THERE" Every one looked and I grabbed a square.

There was one fellow amongst all the ladies. His family owns some spinach farms. In fact they own the farm around the corner from us. He engaged me in an entire spinach process from plant to table. He knew each minute detail including the colours of the bins. I asked if there were any birthdays and this gentleman proceeded to tell me the birth date of EVERY loved one he knew....at least a dozen more than a dozen. Incredible.

I'm going to be very brutally and shamefully honest right now. I only remember the birthdays of 4 maybe 5 people at best. I know thats not really appropriate. It gets me in a lot of shit. I live my life in constant fear that I have missed my moms birthday. She laughs and says I'm either a week early or a day late. Anyway, I have a secret ally..my sister. She knows how much of a spazz I am and helps me and prompts me. Her birthday is May 14.....darn...The year???????? I'd have to do a bunch of math but the year doesnt matter does it? Do I have to know which particular birthday it is? There is one lady at the home who will celebrate her birthday in a week and a few days. Thats how I remember it. She actually told me the date, but since I am date handicapped I will simply ask when I return next week.

1 comment:

  1. ok so if people know you forget stuff like that and its important to them, then they will remind you if they accept who you are instead of trying to change you. basically its up to them if they want to bust your balls over it.
    Brenda Horselips

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead....Make my day!