Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Thursday, February 05, 2009

My Art - Part Nine


"Squirrel Drum Dancer" Copyright John Laford

This print is by John Laford who is an Ojibwa artist from Manitoulin Island. It bears the writing and description of "Squirrel Drum Dancer - 102/135 - Jahn Laford 90" John Laford paints in the now traditional "Woodlands" style. We bought this print around 1991 from a friend of John Laford's. This print was unique, as he was experimenting with pastel colors. Typically the colors on paintings like this are vivid and bright. This one is softer. I have learned that this piece was part of a greater collection of "Squirrel Drum Dancers" I saw the collection on the wall at a dentist office downtown while on work. John Laford is a great native artist and I hope to some day aquire an origianl. My friend who knows John has begun to sell hand made paddles with a Laford original on the blade. Some day.....

7 comments:

  1. Hey,
    I was wondering where the dentist is located that has a collection of John's paintings? and who did you buy the print of off?
    thanks ,
    Lucia O'Connor,
    (im johns Daughter)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok....now I am very confused. I have #8 Artist's Proof of Squirrel drum dancer which is dated '91. How can prints be dated '90? Typically, prints are made from the approved proof.

      Delete
  2. The dentist office was at Bloor and Islington and it was a long time ago now. My friend Rob aquired the print for me from his father Al Gordon in the Sault. I think the Gordons are big fans of your fathers work..and so am I.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I own the same print (60/135), still unframed, plus 5 others of Laford's hanging on my wall. Guess you could say I like his work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this print, freshly framed, plus one that is similar called "Eagle Wing Spirit". They are favorites already in my collection. I couldn't read the last name so I googled the title and your blog came up! Thanks for the valuable info!

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome! we have 3 printholders of Squirrel Drum Dancer...3 down and 132 to go! haha. I am glad my blog was of service. I have seen so many variations of Johns work and he remains one of my favs! Three cheers for art collections!!
    dw

    ReplyDelete
  6. https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/1B-BOe8sirfIRjhTclEP0g
    Here is number 122!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead....Make my day!