Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Sunday, April 26, 2009

Turtle Island Commandments

Sacred Instructions Given By The Creator
To Native People At The Time Of Creation

Treat the Earth and all that dwell thereon with respect.
Remain close to the Great Spirit.
Show great respect for your fellow beings.
Work together for the benefit of all Mankind.
Give assistance and kindness wherever needed.
Do what you know to be right.
Look after the well being of mind and body.
Dedicate a share of your efforts to the greater good.
Be truthful and honest at all times.
Take full responsibility for your actions.
I found this Native American list of Sacred Instruction. I decided to rename it "The Turtle Island Commandments". Turtle Island is thought by some to be the entire planet, while to others it is North America, while yet another it is a small turtle shaped island in the Great Lakes. I beleive through study that Turtle Island must be North America. I now view myself as living on Turtle Island. Sure, I am Canadian, and proud of it, but one can not escape the fact that there are many culture groups inhabitting this island. In many ways we have a shared destiny.
respect

1 comment:

  1. 10 commandments in the Native Way I like it!! words to live by.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead....Make my day!