Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Friday, July 10, 2009

Valerian Root

I have had a number of stressful days which have left me short on sleep. I wanted something to help me sleep, but I did not want sleeping pills or Pharmacuticals. I went to the pharmacy and asked for a natural herb that could help and I was offerred Valerian Root. Well it did not help me sleep. BUT, it took away a lot of the chronic physical pain that I have. I was completely and pleasantly surprised. I went to another pharmacy and asked them about this herb. I wanted to see if I could take this daily, not for my sleep, but for my pain. The pharmacist said it shouldnt be a problem, but to monitor my body and be cognicent of my liver. So last night I took another dose and I cant beleive it. Yet another day without pain.
.
My deep dark secret is that I have been controlling my pain with MJ. I have always been told that I should be using pharmicudicals, but I dont trust the man. I always said, that if I could find something legal, effective and organic, that I would switch. So for two days running, I have felt no need for using my previos self medication. So mom, if you are reading this, I think I may have found the solution.
.
If anyone knows anything about Valerian Root please share with me. I dont want to trade one "problem" for another. To be honest, I am quite happy with MJ and believe it is Gods gift to me. Its just that it is illegal and many would say a societal problem. I do not share these beleifs, however, I do want to be a law abiding citizen. Perhaps its time to "grow up" as many would say.

Here is a bit about Valerain Root...
Wikipedia Description of Valerian Root.

Valerian (Valeriana officinalis, Valerianaceae) is a hardy perennial flowering plant, with heads of sweetly scented pink or white flowers. The flowers are in bloom in the northern hemisphere from June to September. Valerian was used as a perfume in the sixteenth century.
Native to Europe and parts of Asia, Valerian has been introduced into North America. It is consumed as food by the larvae of some Lepidoptera (butterfly and moth) species including Grey Pug.
Other names used for this plant include garden valerian (to distinguish it from other Valeriana species), garden heliotrope (although not related to Heliotropium) and all-heal. The garden flower red valerian is also sometimes referred to as "valerian" but is a different species, from the same family but not particularly closely related.
Valerian, in pharmacology and phytotherapic medicine, is the name of a herb or dietary supplement prepared from roots of the plant, which, after maceration, trituration, dehydration processes, are conveniently packaged, usually into capsules, that may be used for certain effects including sedation and anxiolytic effect.
.
Valerian is used against sleeping disorders, restlessness and anxiety, and as a muscle relaxant. Valerian often seems only to work when taken over longer periods (several weeks), though many users find that it takes effect immediately[citation needed]. Some studies have demonstrated that valerian extracts interact with the GABA and benzodiazepine receptors. Valerian is also used traditionally to treat gastrointestinal pain and irritable bowel syndrome. However, long term safety studies are missing. Valerian is sometimes recommended as a first-line treatment when benefit-risk analysis dictates. Valerian is often indicated as transition medication when discontinuing benzodiazepines.
Valerian has uses in herbal medicine as a sedative. The main current use of valerian is as a remedy for insomnia, with a recent meta-analysis providing some evidence of effectiveness.[10] It has been recommended[citation needed] for epilepsy but that is not supported by research (although valproic acid, an analogue of one of Valerian's constituents (valeric acid), is used as an anticonvulsant and mood-stabilizing drug). Valerian root generally does not lose effectiveness over time.
While shown to be an effective remedy for the reduction of anxiety, it has also been reported to cause agitation, headaches and night terrors in some individuals.[11] This may be due to the fact that some people lack a digestive conversion property necessary to effectively break down Valerian. One study found that valerian tends to sedate the agitated person and stimulate the fatigued person, bringing about a balancing effect on the system.[12]

1 comment:

  1. I have learned threw this damn menopause how important vitamin d is and fish oils (omega 3's) good fats and glucosamine, I "had" a degenerative bone ailment, witch kept me in pain for many years, with actual noticable bone spurs in hands and spine. just the word degenerative, plants a seed of distruction, i could not function doing physical work without vicodine or oxy, I have been drug free now for almost a year, and working my gardens without pain, understanding that I am 51 and not the man I used to be ( hahaha) I move slower don't go over board and still get the job's done, but I did have help, I was a clouded girl, and so messed up mentally and emotionaly, that I was creating myself to be worse and giving myself ocd, I was givin the oppertunity to see the (dreamhealer.com), not only did he realine my chakra, took my pain gave me back my mental health, I was shown, how to do this for myself on a daily basis, I even use it on my ailing cat, who now acts like the young kitty that she is. all this by using the energy around us, eliminating negativity around you. I learned that we unknowinly give our illnesses power, as we all talk of our aches and pains ( especially me), when we speak of them in the present time we give it power, cause our bodies reacts to our words, our words direct our cell behaviour. wow how true I have found for this to be. something we should all learn. to me it's free medical

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead....Make my day!