Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Friday, November 27, 2009

Gitchie Manitou Great Spirit at Peterborough Petroglyphs


Gitchie Manitou - Great Spirit - Shaman
Peterborough Petroglyphs , Ontario

The limestone at Peterborough is generally believed to have been carved by the Algonkian people between 900 and 1400 AD. Today, the First Nations people of Ontario call the carvings Kinomagewapkong, meaning "the rocks that teach.


"Gitchie Manitou - Great Spirit Praises" don wright 2009

I was inspired by the Petroglyphs at Peterborough. In my internet search, I found many differant pictographs, but these are the ones that speak to me. This is hot off the press. You can see the paint aint even dry. I had seen the background effect on a number of paintings by Norval, Ritchie and Maj, so I decided to give it a whirl. I dumped a bunch of paint on the canvas and smooshed it around and then let it sit for a few days. I like how it turned out. I got a great chuckle as the painting seemed off balance, Then I put my W on the bottom right and suddenly there was balance. Oh just one more thing...All Praises to God, Gitchie Manitou Great Spirit
dw

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead....Make my day!