Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Monday, April 23, 2012

Alex Mathias - Jusquado - Pine Cone

"Alex Mathias - Jusquado - Pine Cone"

Alex and I were chatting and I asked him if he had a Spirit name. He was quick to respond and said "I have an Indian name - Jusquado, which means pine cone". I thought, what a fitting name and what an excellent embodiment of my vision of what Pine Cone would be in our human realm. 

Filled with imagination I asked "how did you get your name Jusquado?" I had envisioned a story involving a pine cone in which some great and grand miracle happened. Alex laughed and said that his mom and dad merely kept getting his name confused with cousin Jusquado. That was funny indeed. I fondly remember my dad rhyming through multiple names before arriving at mine. I remembered the saying "you can call me anything, just don't call me late for dinner!" I guess some things never change. Yet somehow I was a little disappointed. You see, I had a grand vision of Spirit beckoning his name. I had a vision of revelations and grand purpose, yet it was merely a simple and innocent story...no hoopla...no lessons..and no great mysteries. 

I asked Alex how to spell Jusquado and he handed me a book by Hap Wilson called "Grey Owl and Me". In the front cover it said "To Jusquado - Warrior Brother". Alex smiled and said "I spell it like my friend Hap".

Many years have passed and this little boy Jusquado - Pine Cone, has grown into his name and become a great seed and catalyst for change with respect to forest management and protection in the Temagami region. My romantic vision of Spirit name embodiment remains intact, as I can think of no better name to describe my friend Alex than Jusquado - Pine Cone.

Alex Mathias pictured at removed logging access point

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead....Make my day!