Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation


Exploring the Arts and My place in Creation - - - - - - - - Please visit my art blog at www.digidoodle.me


Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Writing a Book

A couple of years ago I had a vision of writing a book about Alex Mathias. The idea never left my mind, as each time I was with Alex, I thought of more and more reasons to write. Over the last couple of years I have been creating this book in my mind, though I never once shared my desire with Alex.


One evening not to long ago, Alex said "Don, do you know how to write" I said yes Alex, I have been journal writing for a number of years" Alex said "Don would you consider writing my book". Alex said "we have been together for a short time, but I feel like I have known you for a long time and I feel like you are part of my family. I trust you and I think together we could make a great book" I felt instant affirmation. There was no need for Alex to try to convince me, as I had already come to believe that someday I would write this book.


I began to ponder about the story and how we might approach its creation. As I went though Alex's photo collection I realized just how many people have been touched by him. As I began to research on the internet, I saw and read accounts and articles by passionate people just like myself.  I began to realize that Alex Mathias was indeed a real life legend.


Alex has a phone in his camp that rings every time I am there. Each time, the conversation has been about how to protect this precious land. As you may, or may not be aware, this land is in a struggle with not only commercial interests but also with the government. Much of this contentious land is unceeded and never surrendered. There are also a growing number of people who realize that our last remaining Old Growth Forests MUST be protected. Highly spiritual places like this MUST be respected and even experienced. Alex is not just passionate, but understands that it is a matter of life and death. I don't want to sound dramatic, but I too share this belief. This struggle to protect the Old Growth will prove to be pivotal in mans understanding of his relationship and responsibility with his environment. This sacred relationship has been trod on by greed and misunderstanding.


One evening Alex said to me in a sorrowful tone " Sometimes I feel like the last Nishnaabe. "That statement has been ringing through my head. I have prayed and I have cried for what this means. This very thought creates in me an even greater passion to write this story, not so much for me, not so much for Alex but for our children's children.

As Alex and I have been dreamcasting we have come to believe that the real story, the real intent of this book, will be to bring awareness to the struggle to protect our Old Growth forest. While I want to celebrate the life and times of Alex Mathias, we will in fact be paying respect for a changing way of life and more importantly, to help provide hope and purpose for the future.


Alex and I believe that there are many people with great skills and passion to help us create this book. We are asking you to share by writing a short story for submission to jusquado@gmail.com. We would like you to share your passion. If you have a picture or two to share with your story that would be great. We would like to acknowledge you in this book.


If you have any questions, comments, concerns, or if you just want to talk, I would appreciate the dialog. I have never written a book before, but Alex and I both believe that this vision will unfold in the fullness of time and in all its intended beauty. You can also follow the creation of this book on both facebook and at jusquado.blogspot.ca


peace and blessings to you all,
don wright and on behalf of Alex Mathias - Jusquado - Pine Cone




No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead....Make my day!